The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-28-2024, 01:58 AM

Default Keeping the solid body electric???

Hi there,
I write here because I would also like to hear the opinions of those who do not own electric guitars.
It happens that I have a Telecaster (40th Squier). I bought it with the idea of playing jazz on it. But in the end, I almost prefer to play my Sigma 000M-18 with the soundhole DiMarzio dp139 pickup, or even with my Yamaha silent nylon. So here I am to ask you if there is any reason to keep it.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Hi Cri75!
What if you get involved with a jam session? I practice on my acoustics, but there are situations where I have to play loudly. The 000 would feed back.

I can reach more frets on electrics.

I think the calculus I use, however, is cost to replace. If you sold the tele, would you get enough coin to replace it at some future point if you needed an electric?

I’m slowly cutting down on my electric gear, but I have to keep some.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-28-2024, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

I don't own an electric. I have no use for one.

There's no reason to keep it unless you are using it or are reasonably confident you will use it in the future.

But there's no reason to get rid of it unless you need the money or don't have the space, or are certain you will never want to use it.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 05-28-2024 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:57 AM

It's unused and taking up space in your head and your house. Sell it on. If you later regret it a telecaster is readily available.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:16 AM

You own it, if you have the space I would keep it. Why burn bridges unnecessarily? You may change your mind . . . it's not eating any bread.

Just my 2d (English pennies) worth.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:36 AM

I can't tell you what to do but if you do decide to get rid of it, Squire Telecasters are easily and affordably replaceable if you change your mind in the future.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

If you ever find yourself in a pickle, you may need an ore.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cri75! View Post
...It happens that I have a Telecaster (40th Squier). I bought it with the idea of playing jazz on it. But in the end, I almost prefer to play my Sigma 000M-18 with the soundhole DiMarzio dp139 pickup, or even with my Yamaha silent nylon. So here I am to ask you if there is any reason to keep it.
Nothing wrong with using a steel-string flattop acoustic with a soundhole pickup - the late Gabor Szabo used one for years (in his case a D-45 with a DeArmond) - and plenty of jazz artists have used nylon-strings; that said, the Tele is a whole different (and highly useful) flavor and not only would I keep it but, if you're serious about the jazz thing, look to the possibility of a traditional full-size hollowbody somewhere down the line...

Here's what I'd do in the meantime:
  • I'm assuming it still has the original factory strings (9's with a plain G) - OK for rock and country, but not the ideal jazz setup;
  • Score a set of wound-G flatwound 12's (the same set Leo shipped the Tele with in the early days) - FWIW D'Addario Chromes are readily available, relatively inexpensive as flatwounds go, and long-lasting in use;
  • Take it in to your tech for a proper pro setup: file the nut slots for the heavier strings, level/polish the frets, adjust the truss rod, set the intonation, and drop the action as low as possible - FYI flats allow you to set the action far lower than roundwounds (a little trick all the Bop-era jazzers knew), as well as providing a mellower tone and better string-to-string articulation/definition;
  • If you don't already own one, think in terms of an amp (tube or analog solid-state) with lots of clean headroom and dynamic range - 50 or more watts isn't out of the question here, not for the OSHA-hazard volume potential but for the reserve power - and while a dedicated acoustic-electric amp might be an OK stopgap measure I find them edgy and glassy, lacking the richness expected from a jazz guitar...
Come back in 6-8 months and let us know how it's going - give it as fair a chance as possible - and if it still doesn't work for you, move it along and think in favor of a more traditional jazzbox...

All the best...
Old 05-28-2024, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I don’t keep guitars I never play. I’d personally never be without a solid body (or semi-hollow) electric, even though I’m 90% an acoustic player these days, but I do play my Strat, even if not very much. But if you never play your tele, why keep it?

-Ray
Old 05-28-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cri75! View Post
Hi there,
I write here because I would also like to hear the opinions of those who do not own electric guitars.
It happens that I have a Telecaster (40th Squier). I bought it with the idea of playing jazz on it. But in the end, I almost prefer to play my Sigma 000M-18 with the soundhole DiMarzio dp139 pickup, or even with my Yamaha silent nylon. So here I am to ask you if there is any reason to keep it.
Opinions about keeping an electric guitar from those who do not own electric guitars seems like a good way to affirm that you shouldn't keep it.

I freely move between acoustic steel string, acoustic nylon string, electric steel string, and electric nylon string guitars. They are all simply tools to select from, but only you can make the decision of what to play and what to collect dust with. The good news is you can always get another down the road if you just can't see a use for a particular instrument presently.

If you had a toolbox with a hammer, pliers, a screwdriver, and a saw it's unlikely that you'd eliminate one of the four because you didn't have an immediate need for it.
Old 05-28-2024, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Keeping the solid body electric???

I have 10 electrics, though I have not been playing them much lately since I have gotten on an acoustic kick. I will go back to them soon though. I am cycling all my electrics through the luthier to due some fret clean up and to fix a few little things. When I go back this week to pick up by R0 Custom Shop LP, that will conclude the clean up work. So my advice would be to keep it. You never know when you will need your Tele and you already paid for it. Its not like its a high value piece.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-28-2024, 07:29 AM

Have you ever heard the album "Pure Desmond" by Paul Desmond?

If not, listen to that. That was done with a tele. And it's a BIG reason to keep the tele.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-28-2024, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

HUH ? OP - Why would want opinions about keeping an electric from people who have never owned one ?
That is as counterintuitive as asking about keeping a sports car from people who have never owned one, __It's impossible for them give an informed opinion

You are the only possible person that can answer that ..IF in doubt now keep it until you can make a decision you can always sell it later

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-28-2024, 08:22 AM

Thank you all for your valuable insights and contributions. Your perspectives have been instrumental in my decision-making process.
I have decided to keep it (at least for the moment).
It does look good in my little collection, and even if I do not play it often, I play it at least once a week.
The guitar is perfectly set up for my liking, and it is strung with Daddario EJ20 10-49 Jazz Extra Light.
So since I will keep it, I will probably replace the neck pickup with a DiMarzio Area T dp417 (stacked humbucker in a single coil shape). It is true that the main reason I play it more rarely than the others is because I cannot stand the humming in my house quite a bit.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
. . . There's no reason to keep it unless you are using it or are reasonably confident you will use it in the future.

But there's no reason to get rid of it unless you need the money or don't have the space, or are certain you will never want to use it.
That pretty much answers it. I'll add a Telecaster pitch:

A Tele is a breed of its own. Nothing else sounds like a Tele — one reason for its cult status. There are some great jazz Tele guys. Redd Volkaert and Bill Frisell are solid jazz players. Artists who play great jazz but are better known for their country chops include Brent Mason and Danny Gatton. One blues cat who can squeeze gorgeous jazz out of any guitar is Duke Robillard.

Teles shine in every electric guitar genre. So before you mothball it, here's a guy who has some easy set-up tips for getting the jazziest sounds out of yours: Jazz Tele tips

(And keep in mind that amp choice matters, too. Clean headroom is the name of the jazz game.)

Let us know how you make out!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-28-2024 at 02:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars