The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin binding update

I don't mean this to be another "pile on" thread, but to share any meaningful updates.

My two affected Martins (2010 and 2012) have been repaired once and twice each, and now BOTH are pulling apart again.

I spoke with my very helpful and sympathetic local authorized Martin repair shop. The luthier and I agreed that some glues are better than others, but essentially this is a binding shrinkage issue, not solely glue.

He also mentioned that on any given day, there are roughly 20 Martins on their bench for similar repairs, and although Martin usually pays without hassle, they certainly don't want any further involvement in the process.

I'm not sure if this was meaningful in any way, but it seems that it shows there is still no definitive solution, and that they are just applying band-aids until our generation moves on and they will solve this issue by attrition. (my opinion)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-06-2024, 06:12 AM

i don't own a big m brand but could m not learn something from other brands that don't have a continuing binding issues?
Old 04-06-2024, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Would be generous if they offered to replace all the bad binding with flamed maple binding as an upgrade for everyone’s trouble. It would solve the problem and send a message that they value their customers.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-06-2024, 06:20 AM

Had mine glued,it's coming apart again. I'll live with it.Tired of the hassle of taking it in for repair.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:42 AM

I don't understand how Martin can be so passive in the midst of this debacle.
This has gone on far too long.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:43 AM

I've posted many times in the past when the "MBP" topic comes up, but I think what Bob Taylor relates starting at 17:45 in his recent Driftwood Guitars interview might shed some light on the problem. Bob is VERY diplomatic!

Old 04-06-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

My D18 has been in the shop since last July for binding repair, I’m finally getting it back next week.

The luthier said that Martin initially declined to cover the repair, he appealed, and then they covered it.

This will be the second time this guitar has had its binding repaired under warranty.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:51 AM

I sold my 2013 Martin D18 after it had separated twice on me. I kept my 1990 D16M that "knock on wood" is fine. Sad that this has made me shy of ever owning another recently made Martin.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 04-06-2024, 08:02 AM

Default sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I don't mean this to be another "pile on" thread, but to share any meaningful updates.

My two affected Martins (2010 and 2012) have been repaired once and twice each, and now BOTH are pulling apart again.

I spoke with my very helpful and sympathetic local authorized Martin repair shop. The luthier and I agreed that some glues are better than others, but essentially this is a binding shrinkage issue, not solely glue.

He also mentioned that on any given day, there are roughly 20 Martins on their bench for similar repairs, and although Martin usually pays without hassle, they certainly don't want any further involvement in the process.

I'm not sure if this was meaningful in any way, but it seems that it shows there is still no definitive solution, and that they are just applying band-aids until our generation moves on and they will solve this issue by attrition. (my opinion)
I fear this explanation of Martin's reluctance to own this problem makes sense. And I like the clearsighted comments about the problem itself; this is NOT something resolved with masking tape and a dose of CA.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

My guy told me it was a binding issue more than a glue issue as well. I had my D18 repaired 2 or 3 years ago and it has been fine ever since. If this is correct then the luthier needs to stretch the binding and not just reglue it. If you reglue something that comes apart it will most likely come apart again.

Pretty sure Martin has took a big hit with the guitar playing community the way they have addressed this.

More builders need to take the Larrivee approach and use wood and not plastic.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Would be generous if they offered to replace all the bad binding with flamed maple binding as an upgrade for everyone’s trouble. It would solve the problem and send a message that they value their customers.
This is where I'm at. I'm willing to pay for this, as I love the guitars otherwise. I would want Martin to pitch in the the fair market cost of the binding repair though. This becomes a much bigger job of binding, as the finish would need to be completely re-done...or a VERY tedious touch up around the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've posted many times in the past when the "MBP" topic comes up, but I think what Bob Taylor relates starting at 17:45 in his recent Driftwood Guitars interview might shed some light on the problem. Bob is VERY diplomatic!

Interesting. Never looked at it from that angle, but it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I sold my 2013 Martin D18 after it had separated twice on me. I kept my 1990 D16M that "knock on wood" is fine. Sad that this has made me shy of ever owning another recently made Martin.
Same here. Vintage Martins...yes. New Martins...not any more! Unless they come clean, make amends, and behave like a responsible company.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-06-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
My D18 has been in the shop since last July for binding repair, I’m finally getting it back next week.

The luthier said that Martin initially declined to cover the repair, he appealed, and then they covered it.

This will be the second time this guitar has had its binding repaired under warranty.
Eight months (!!!) to fix the binding? I've had entire custom instruments built in less time (with maple binding no less). What was the shop doing with it all that time?

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
My guy told me it was a binding issue more than a glue issue as well. I had my D18 repaired 2 or 3 years ago and it has been fine ever since. If this is correct then the luthier needs to stretch the binding and not just reglue it. If you reglue something that comes apart it will most likely come apart again.

Pretty sure Martin has took a big hit with the guitar playing community the way they have addressed this.

More builders need to take the Larrivee approach and use wood and not plastic.
Totally agree with both points. And yes, my luthier heated and stretched the binding prior to re-glueing. Twice. Another problem, is clearing the old glue out of the binding channel without altering the depth/shape of the channel.

I have used only wood binding on my builds after my first build which used white plastic with "binds-all" glue. (and it is still glued perfectly intact). But wood binding makes more sense, and IMO, looks much better anyway.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-06-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Unfortunately, I see all sorts of problems with more recent Martins (say, in the last 10-15 years). I am not sure what's going on with them, and I used to be a Martin fanatic, but I have stayed away from them because of the binding and neck issues in particular. And the Martins that I would want are way above my pay grade.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

I work on guitars for a living so I see a fair amount of Martin binding repairs. I'm sure they've taken a hit here on the AGF but this place doesn't represent the guitar playing public at large. The vast majority of people who bring their Martins in for binding repair have never heard of the issue and have no idea that it's a widespread problem. I truly don't think they've taken a big hit, which is why they've never properly addressed the issue.

The thing I've wondered for a few years now is if Martin is actually paying for these warrantee repairs or if they have insurance for something like this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion