The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Grovers - different post sizes based on color?

I changed out some tuners today. I bought some Waverly gold open gear tuners to put on my D-41 which came back from a set up today. No problem installing the Waverly tuners through the same gold bushings that the gold Grovers had used.

So then I thought why not use to Gold Grovers on my 000-18. Just because I could. When I pulled the nickel Grovers off the 000-18, I pushed the gold Grover up through the bushing and what do you think happened?

That’s right - gold Grovers have a different size post than nickel Grovers? Why? I have no clue. I had the gold push in bushings from the Waverly set, so no big deal to push out the old nickel bushings and replace them, which I was going to do anyway. But I cannot quite wrap my head around why Grover would make the exact same tuner, but vary the post sizes depending on the color. Makes no sense to me.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion