The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 07:49 PM

Default Anyone using the John Pearce string wipes?

Just bought a pack of them and was wondering if they if they prolong string life if used once a week or so. Has anyone had experience with this?
Old 05-31-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Just bought a pack of them and was wondering if they if they prolong string life if used once a week or so. Has anyone had experience with this?
I've not tried the John Pearse but like their products (strings, armrests, thumpicks). I do however believe you get more life out of strings by keeping them clean. Not just a gimmick- even keeping your hands clean is better by far than nothing. To the naysayers I say head to your local GC and play guitars with uncoated strings. Feel yuck and sound yuck.

I've been using Kyser String Cleaner & Extender- stuff is great. I've also tried a tip read about right here on AGF- alcohol wipes for eyeglass cleaning. I bought some Zeiss wipes and they seem to work pretty well.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

My routine.

Before a "gig" (online ZOOM meetup) if the strings are not new...

With a lint free cloth (these are old Burroughs disk drive platter cleaners)
Add a few drops of mineral oil. With the cloth folded over the string, scrub by pulling up and back and forth. You should get a good "squeak:. You will also note black marks from plain strings. Wipe down the fingerboard with micro fiber cloth (I use the blue ones from automotive). I usually run this between the strings and board.

. Strings last longer
. fingerboards stay nice and clean

I have been doing this for over 20 years on multiple guitars. The only effect is see is a slight darkening on rosewood boards. (which I like). I always check to make sure there is not enough oil to effect the fret seating in the board. I have also used this on maple "fender" type boards with no effect.

Lee
Old 06-01-2022, 07:51 AM

There one thing that people do wrong is picking the wrong cloth to clean strings with. It has to be 100% lint free. As mentioned here the old disk platter cleaner pads are perfect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion