The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 12:02 PM

Default Sigma SDM-18 or Eastman E1D Deluxe

Which of these affordable dreadnoughts is the better cheap D-18? The Sigma SDM-18 (€795, no pickup, no gig bag) or Eastman E1D Deluxe (€889, Fishman Presys VT, gig bag)?

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-23-2024, 12:25 PM

Full disclosure, learning ChatGPT and just typed in OP's question. (Hope I didn't violate some forum ethics code. Please be kind if I've done something wrong.)

Here is the generated reply:

Quote:
Choosing between the Sigma SDM-18 and the Eastman E1D Deluxe as affordable alternatives to the Martin D-18 depends on several factors, including your specific needs and preferences. Here's a detailed comparison to help you decide:

Sigma SDM-18
Price: €795
Includes: No pickup, no gig bag

Pros:

Build Quality: Sigma guitars are known for their solid build quality and faithful reproductions of classic Martin models.
Sound: Typically offers a warm, resonant tone that closely mimics the D-18’s sound characteristics.
Value: Lower price point, which might appeal if budget is a significant concern.
Cons:

No Pickup: Lacks built-in electronics, which could be a drawback if you plan to perform amplified.
No Gig Bag: Additional cost for a case or gig bag if you need one.

Eastman E1D Deluxe
Price: €889
Includes: Fishman Presys VT pickup, gig bag

Pros:

Electronics: Comes with a Fishman Presys VT pickup system, which is great for performing live and recording.
Gig Bag: Includes a gig bag, adding value and protection for the instrument.
Build Quality: Eastman is renowned for high-quality craftsmanship, often rivaling more expensive models.
Cons:

Price: Slightly higher price point, which might be a consideration depending on your budget.
Comparative Points
Sound Quality:

Both Sigma and Eastman guitars are praised for their sound quality, but the Eastman E1D Deluxe often receives accolades for its excellent tonal balance and projection. However, the Sigma SDM-18 is highly regarded for its vintage tone, closely mimicking the Martin D-18.
Playability:

Both brands generally offer comfortable neck profiles and good playability. Personal preference will play a big role here, so trying them out if possible would be beneficial.
Additional Features:

The Eastman E1D Deluxe’s built-in Fishman Presys VT pickup is a significant advantage if you plan to perform or record, making it more versatile out of the box.
The inclusion of a gig bag with the Eastman also adds value, saving you the extra cost of purchasing one separately.

Conclusion
For Performers and Practical Use: The Eastman E1D Deluxe is likely the better choice due to its built-in electronics and included gig bag. This makes it a more versatile option, particularly if you intend to perform live or need the convenience of a gig bag.

For Pure Acoustic Tone and Budget-Conscious Buyers: The Sigma SDM-18 could be more appealing, especially if you prioritize a classic, unamplified acoustic sound and want to save some money upfront.

Ultimately, both guitars are excellent choices for those seeking a budget-friendly alternative to the Martin D-18. Your decision should be based on whether the added features of the Eastman (pickup and gig bag) are worth the extra cost compared to the slightly cheaper Sigma, which focuses purely on acoustic performance.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 05-23-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
Full disclosure, learning ChatGPT and just typed in OP's question. (Hope I didn't violate some forum ethics code. Please be kind if I've done something wrong.)

Here is the generated reply:
What you did wrong was not include the Furch and also be more specific about the question.

ChatGPT: Which of these affordable dreadnoughts is the better cheap D-18? The Sigma SDM-18 (€795, no pickup, no gig bag), Eastman E1D Deluxe (€889, Fishman Presys VT, gig bag), or Furch furch Violet D-SM VTC (€999, pickup, no gig bag)? I'm looking for the one which sound closest to the D-18.

Answer: While all three guitars offer excellent value and solid construction, the Sigma SDM-18 might come closest to the traditional Martin D-18 sound, given its specific aim to replicate Martin guitars and its use of mahogany back and sides.

RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-23-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
What you did wrong was not include the Furch and also be more specific about the question.

ChatGPT: Which of these affordable dreadnoughts is the better cheap D-18? The Sigma SDM-18 (€795, no pickup, no gig bag), Eastman E1D Deluxe (€889, Fishman Presys VT, gig bag), or Furch furch Violet D-SM VTC (€999, pickup, no gig bag)? I'm looking for the one which sound closest to the D-18.

Answer: While all three guitars offer excellent value and solid construction, the Sigma SDM-18 might come closest to the traditional Martin D-18 sound, given its specific aim to replicate Martin guitars and its use of mahogany back and sides.
Thanks for the feedback. And to OP, guess you should add Furch to your quest to find an "affordable" D-18 alternative.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:49 PM

How many guitars has chatgpt played ? I'd bet a 100bucks , in a blind test...it couldn't tell which one it was listening to.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-23-2024, 01:53 PM

I'd go with the Eastman. I have the regular E1D and like it a lot. If you don't need a pickup then get one without a pickup.

You could also get a Yamaha FG3. It will be slightly less bright and might sound a bit more like a D-18. If I had to choose between an E1D and an FG3 it would be a tough decision to make.

The E1D should be the cheapest of all these options mentioned so far, then the FG3, then the rest
Old 05-23-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
How many guitars has chatgpt played ? I'd bet a 100bucks , in a blind test...it couldn't tell which one it was listening to.
Perhaps we should be using 'PlayGPT'

ChatGPT can grab a lot of data and distill is down, but at the end of the day, need to ask/talk with real people for some opinions.

Old 05-23-2024, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I bought a E10SS recently thinking that it would be close to the J-45 in sound. I actually wanted a J-45 but was paying property taxes at the time and was trying to not spend as much money. After a few months I realized that while the Eastman was a nice guitar, it was not a J-45, so I sold it and bought a J-45. The moral to the story - if you want something that sounds like a D-18, just get a D-18. If they are too high new, get a used one. I see them regularly come up for sale with good prices. Five years from now the difference in price will long be forgotten and you’ll still have a D-18.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-23-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
Perhaps we should be using 'PlayGPT'

ChatGPT can grab a lot of data and distill is down, but at the end of the day, need to ask/talk with real people for some opinions.
Yeah, and those AI chatbots are often wrong, they are just pulling from text in their db, and trying to make correct associations and I find AI often ascribes features or parameters to guitars incorrectly. Take AI with a giant grain of salt.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-23-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I bought a E10SS recently thinking that it would be close to the J-45 in sound. I actually wanted a J-45 but was paying property taxes at the time and was trying to not spend as much money. After a few months I realized that while the Eastman was a nice guitar, it was not a J-45, so I sold it and bought a J-45. The moral to the story - if you want something that sounds like a D-18, just get a D-18. If they are too high new, get a used one. I see them regularly come up for sale with good prices. Five years from now the difference in price will long be forgotten and you’ll still have a D-18.
I agree. You will never find a guitar that mimics the the way a D-18 sounds in any sort of precise fashion, there is something in they way they build those guitars that give them the Martin sound, and no one else has been successful copying it. I don't know why. I've also wasted money chasing after an og tone of various types, and just ended up buying those guitars (whose tone I was chasing with similar guitars)
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-24-2024, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
Which of these affordable dreadnoughts is the better cheap D-18? The Sigma SDM-18 (€795, no pickup, no gig bag) or Eastman E1D Deluxe (€889, Fishman Presys VT, gig bag)?
I've had quite a few Sigma's from the 70s up to today and the characteristic of all of them, regardless of whether they were produced under Martin or AMI, is that they are tuned close to the models they imitate, in fact I don't think you'll find any other guitars in the price range that is closer to what they imitate. If you can find a good Sigma sdm-18 and abstract from the fact that there is no Martin on the head, then you can have a reasonable acoustic guitar for many years.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Two great posts here…

one telling you to buy the D-18. I also tried several times to make an E10ss fill the shoes of a J45. It was a fools errand even when Eastman had nitro finishes. Now they have True Tone. Worse.

I owned a sigma based on a 15 series years back. It was fantastic. I agree with Jan.

Also, friends don’t let friends chatGBT. Let’s not help these Silicon Valley folks kill off the remains of the human race.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 05-24-2024 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
I'd go with the Eastman. I have the regular E1D and like it a lot. If you don't need a pickup then get one without a pickup.

You could also get a Yamaha FG3. It will be slightly less bright and might sound a bit more like a D-18. If I had to choose between an E1D and an FG3 it would be a tough decision to make.

The E1D should be the cheapest of all these options mentioned so far, then the FG3, then the rest
Another great option would be the cedar top Eastman E2D.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Two great posts here…

one telling you to buy the D-18. I also tried several times to make an E10ss fill the shoes of a J45. It was a fools errand even when Eastman had nitro finishes. Now they have True Tone. Worse.

I owned a sigma based on a 15 series years back. It was fantastic. I agree with Jan.

Also, friends don’t let friends chatGBT. Let’s not help these Silicon Valley folks kill off the remains of the human race.
I believe it's also recommended gluing cheese to pizza and mixing vinegar with chlorine bleach to clean washing machines. It's great at assembling a response that superficially looks like information, but that's as far as it goes right now.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-24-2024, 11:55 PM

The SDM-18 is supposed to come with a gig bag.
https://www.sigma-guitars.com/acoust...-18-35/sdm-18/

I reserved an SDM-18 from a store which says it does not come with a gig bag. They have it at a good price and I'll go try it out. Other stores which sell it say it comes with a gig bag.

RichardAbbuhl.com

Last edited by rabbuhl; 05-25-2024 at 12:10 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion