The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Short scale, cutaway dreadnaught? (J-45 alternatives)

Howdy and thanks in advance...

So, I gots the arthritis and it's gradually getting worse. I mostly play a custom Lichty small jumbo-ish multi-scale due to the comfort, but I'm historically a dread guy and my Martin is getting a bit untenable. So I'm starting to look around for shorter scale instruments with a cutaway and just doing a little due diligence like a good little consumer.

The obvious choice (I suppose) is the J-45 cutaway, and I found a Seagull with wild cherry laminate b/s and cedar top with maple neck. Not solid wood and those tone woods???? Not so sure. Have to think about that. The reviews are good. By all counts comfy to play, and hella cheap too. Just not sure if it's a "great guitar for the money", or actually a great guitar period. On that spectrum, I'm inclined to lean more toward the latter end.

Ideally, I want Gibson-ish scale with a cutaway. Mahogany back/sides and Sitka top preferred, but really, beyond the scale length, nut width and cutaway, for the purposes of having purchase options, I suppose I should remain flexible on all other specs.

Budget now is maybe $3000-3500. Maybe double that if I can move a few things.

Anything come to mind? Brands? Custom builders (prolly used on my budget)?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:10 AM

Have you considered classical guitars, or do you wish to stick with steel?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 AM

I would like to stick with steel string
Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 AM

So why not a Gibson? Sounds to me it fits what you want.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 AM

I love my Seagulls, as my sig will attest. The classic Seagull wild cherry/cedar combo sounds great, but at least in my experience, it's not for the aggressive strummer or acoustic bluegrass "dig in for volume" flatpicker. If you're not either of those things, you may well like it.

I particularly love the wider necks on their traditional models myself. They've moved away from shorter scales recently from what I've read, but see below.

Some think the Godin wild cherry laminate is different: fewer plys, higher quality. So if you think you couldn't possibly be happy unless it's "all solid wood" you may want to consider this wild cherry as an exception. I think of the sound as cross between 'hog and maple. It's a midrange/upper midrange forward sound, but the cedar top keeps it from sounding harsh. It is vaguely Gibson-ish in sound I think, more than it's Martin-ish if I may use gross generalizations.

Tuning down 1/2 step or even a full step is another alternative with your current guitar. I've been doing that lately with some of my full scale acoustics. For some singers that's actually a benefit for their singing range, but even if it's not, tuning down and capoing will patch that.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 AM

paulzoom:
Absolutely a Gibson! Just doing some due diligence to see what else is out there. Options are always nice.

Frank:
Great feedback, man! Much appreciated! I hadn't considered tuning down my acoustics, but I'll give it a shot. Probably not a total solution, but might make my Martin a little more comfortable. And I have no problem with laminate back/sides. I've been enjoying a little all hog Alvarez laminate parlor that sounds great and plays like butter!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-23-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Language
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

This is a 1953 Gibson L4C. It's an acoustic steel string guitar with a short scale and cutaway. Probably not what you are thinking of but it's another way to go and you could probably find something similar in your price range. These are sweet guitars.

PS. I added the Lollar floating pickup which is attached to the pickguard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0877.jpg (76.1 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Al Acuff; 07-30-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM

While I don't have arthritis I am tuning a full step down due to a hand injury. Playing guitar is actually very good PT so I keep at it. Hurts like heck but it's better than the alternative. I suspect your affliction will require much of the same to keep the hands loose and the teeth gritting. I capo up two frets to get to concert pitch and that's on a classical.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

ooops... redundant post... sorry...
Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Talk to Ed Bond of Halcyon and Tinker guitars. He builds an NL-00 that maybe he can do a cutaway for. He used to be one of the luthiers at Larrivee and then when they moved to California he started his own shop. He's a member here, you'll probably catch him in the custom build or build and repair sub forums.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 07-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

The newer Taylor 310ce's from 2016 on are 24 7/8" scale. I've got one and they are very sweet sounding and easy to play. Sitka top, sapele back/sides, 1 3/4" nut width.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-30-2017, 02:48 PM

Great suggestions. Keep em comin. Emailed Halcyon to see if he'd do a cutaway on his dread. Tinker guitars out of business or starting up? Can't tell from the website.

Does the Eastman custom shop exist? Amaybe they'd do a custom custaway dread. Heard good things about it.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

The Taylor in my signature, although not a short scale, is the easiest playing guitar I own. Great tone, amazing woods, and very easy chording. It's for sale at the low end of your price range.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 07-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Be aware that Seagull dreads haven't been short scale for 2-3 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fret View Post
and I found a Seagull with wild cherry laminate b/s and cedar top with maple neck. Not solid wood and those tone woods???? Not so sure. Have to think about that.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM

I still think you should get a Gibson.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion