The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 03:58 PM

Default Martin 15 series neck joint?

Hello guys I am behind a 000 15m and saw the specs but get me confused. I dont know exactly when martin made the change but before they had the mortise and tenon joint and now says "simple dovetail joint". Is the same but with another name? Is there any difference?
In the other hand, here is more tropical weather and its a solid wood. The problem with humidity changes are more from europe and US right?

The idea is to buy it brand new (think its 2020/2021) 1450u$ (im from south america). Here is to much money so i wanna be sure covering all the aspects.

Thanks!! Hugs!!
Old 11-30-2021, 04:47 PM

I am pretty sure that “simple dovetail joint” is Martin’s marketingspeak for a mortise and tenon joint, even though the two are not even nearly the same. I’m not a Luthier, but I have done a fair bit of carpentry and cabinet work, so I do know the difference. I am very disappointed with Martin about this. I feel that they are over the line. Euphemisms are one thing, lies are another.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:48 PM

The traditional dovetail is a compound dovetail. The simple dovetail is a single dovetail. It is an adaptation to make CNC fitting possible.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I am pretty sure that “simple dovetail joint” is Martin’s marketingspeak for a mortise and tenon joint, even though the two are not even nearly the same. I’m not a Luthier, but I have done a fair bit of carpentry and cabinet work, so I do know the difference. I am very disappointed with Martin about this. I feel that they are over the line. Euphemisms are one thing, lies are another.
The Simple Dovetail replaced the M/T joint on 17 Series and below made in Nazareth in 2012. The added benefit for Martin is that both the male and female portions are cut and fitted by CNC. It takes no hand work. The downside of the Simple Dovetail is that it's more difficult to get loose and reset compared to a traditional compound dovetail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M&T Neck Joints.jpg (23.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Simple Dovetail Neck Joints.jpg (19.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Compound Dovetail Neck Joints.jpg (20.9 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by UncleJesse; 11-30-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
This video does a good job of showing the difference between the compound dovetail and the simple dovetail neck joints. I have also done a good bit of cabinetry and furniture building, a better term for the simple dovetail joint might be to call it a sliding dovetail joint. It resembles a mortise and tenon joint, but it differs because the "tenon" or tail is triangular shaped and cut to fit perfectly into the recess of the other piece, results in more gluing area and more resistance to pulling out of the joint, than a straight mortise and tenon joint might have. Might be marketing but I don't see it as wrong , or a blatant lie to use the term dovetail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx4cMXiZTM8
Old 11-30-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
The traditional dovetail is a compound dovetail. The simple dovetail is a single dovetail. It is an adaptation to make CNC fitting possible.
Im sorry but there is any diference in sound? It works better or just makes it easier for massive production?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
This video does a good job of showing the difference between the compound dovetail and the simple dovetail neck joints. I have also done a good bit of cabinetry and furniture building, a better term for the simple dovetail joint might be to call it a sliding dovetail joint. It resembles a mortise and tenon joint, but it differs because the "tenon" or tail is triangular shaped and cut to fit perfectly into the recess of the other piece, results in more gluing area and more resistance to pulling out of the joint, than a straight mortise and tenon joint might have. Might be marketing but I don't see it as wrong , or a blatant lie to use the term dovetail.

So its different! I had some doubts due to what they said about the specs with the 15 series and their "mahogany". Calling it solid genuine mahogany and i saw its not the "real", maybe sipo or whatever? JAJA. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post

Nice! Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion