The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Can the Seagull S6 be beaten at its price range?

also what is the difference between the numerous models?

S6 Original

S6 Original Slim

S6 Original Mahogany

S6 Spruce Sunburst

Then there is the coastline range as well...

I have played only played S6 original cedar as a friend has one and I thought it sounded amazing for the price...it was a little big for my miniature hands so the slim does sound appealing, but if sound is sacrificed then I am willing to work with the wider neck

Prices vary from £400 - £500 or $685 - $856 for you yanks... and so I can't imagine many other guitars been able to compete for that price, what do you think?

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Yeah, Sigma is a contender in that range.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Everything you could want to know for specs is right here -> http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.html

1+ on Sigma. I recently spent some time trying their guitars and I was quite impressed.

Takamine's new GD line is pretty impressive as well in this price range. I was recently contemplating among these 3 brands as a grad gift and went with a Takamine GD30CE-NAT. It sounded VERY nice, had a tougher finish (good for an 18 year old recent grad) and a good plugged in tone. http://www.takamine.com/en-CA/guitar...board-natural/
Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Seagull, Sigma AKA Kindred, Recording King, and Blueridge all have some nice stuff in this price range; while I used to recommend Seagull to my students 15-20 years ago, there are more top-notch instruments in that segment than there have been in decades so the choice is not so clear-cut - and "beaten" is strictly a matter of your tonal/handling preferences...
Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeybizz View Post
also what is the difference between the numerous models?

S6 Original

S6 Original Slim

S6 Original Mahogany

S6 Spruce Sunburst
S6 Original - solid cedar over laminate wild cherry, 1.8" nut

S6 Original Slim - same as the S6 Original, with a 1.72" nut - that's the only difference - no tonal distinction or difference between the 2

S6 Original Mahogany - solid mahogany over laminate mahogany, 1.8" nut

S6 Spruce Sunburst - solid spruce top over laminate wild cherry, gloss finished top, 1.8" nut

All excellent guitars!

I would also recommend you try some Walden guitars - www.waldenguitars.com.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Guild has some guitars in the GAD line that, I think, will beat the pants off the Seagull. Not that there's anything wrong with the Seagull.

Todd
Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Taylor 100 series
Michael Kelly Series 50, 52, 60
Epiphone Masterbilt

Lots of good stuff in that range. I think it most certainly can be beat.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 PM

For a North American manufactured guitar I say no they cant be beat. They sound great. They are hardy and need less TLC than their solid wood cousins. I like the 1.8" neck. They stain the cherry a beautiful colour with a satin finish and you get a decent solid cedar top. The tops do mark easy so you have to get over the minor dings. Their customer service and warranty are second to none. As the owner you have to take some responsibility. I have had a few Gulls at all levels and I came back to the S6 for my travel and camp instrument. I like my fancy pants guitars too but the S6 is with me a lot.

I know nothing about the Chinese and other Asian guitars so I wont comment one way or the other.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 PM

Seagull makes a good guitar, but bang for the buck, check out an Art & Lutherie or a Simon & Patrick. They are owned by the same outfit, all made of basically the same materials and construction methods, and made in the same factories in Quebec. You won't go wrong with any of them. Seagulls have a wider nut unless you go with the Slim.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Seagull makes a good guitar, but bang for the buck, check out an Art & Lutherie or a Simon & Patrick. They are owned by the same outfit, all made of basically the same materials and construction methods, and made in the same factories in Quebec. You won't go wrong with any of them. Seagulls have a wider nut unless you go with the Slim.
+1. Well said - I was going to mention Simon & Patrick too.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Lots of good Recording Kings at that price. Seagull's are good values but not the only one.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1. Well said - I was going to mention Simon & Patrick too.
just had a listen to some simon & patrick acoustics....the woodland cedar sounds amazing...I guess I'm gonna have to find somewhere that stocks both them and the seagull so I can try them both out at the same time... :/
Old 07-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Frankly I think a Yamaha FG730S is a way better sounding guitar for less money. A Seagull S6 was my first guitar btw, had it about 3 mos before upgrading to a Martin. The one thing I remember most about it was that it was neck heavy...when you put it over your knee, it wanted to dive toward the headstock.

Over a month ago I took a work colleague on a search for his first guitar. Sure enough, same problem with the S6 we picked up at GC. My friend left with the Yamaha...awesome guitar for the money!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM

I agree with brencat - I think Yamaha makes one of the best guitars for the $.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM

When I was shopping for my first guitar, I brought along a guitar playing friend. I had him play a Seagull S6 and Yamaha FG730S in a blind sound test. He went behind me and I closed my eyes. He played the same things on both guitars. There was guitar #1 and guitar #2... I picked #2 as sounding better and it turned out to be the Yamaha FG730. So, I would also agree that it is one of the guitars you should check out while shopping.

That said, I have since sold the Yamaha in favor of my Washburn guitar. Washburn was not even on my radar because most poeple recommended the Seagull and Yamaha brands. Since then I have come to think, personally, that the Washburn solid-topped guitars are better sounding, better built and a better bang-for-buck than either Seagull or Yamaha. So, I would recommend looking into some Washburn guitars.. I believe their solid top dreads start at about $250 new.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion