The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you change strings?
On a worktop - headstock on your left 107 72.30%
On a Worktop - Headstock - on your right 14 9.46%
Seated - headstock facing you 32 21.62%
Take it to a dealer/tech 0 0%
Change strings - huh? 4 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2024, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Default How do you change strings?

Hi, I've made a number of Y/T videos about my methods of changing strings ... it mainly started because I mostly use guitars with slotted headstocks which some think are more complicated. (they aren't).
I always have my guitars on a workbench and someone recently asked why I had the headstock on my left ... which made me think .

I AM left handed, but play righty but I looked at some other string changing videos on Y/T (a popular website for adverts which also has some videos) and found that quite a lot of them had the headstock on their left.

Whilst I understand that the 10/15% of folk are left handed and so obviously more gifted (?!), I thought it might be fun (and totally purposeless) to field a poll.

So here are the options :
Old 03-31-2024, 11:48 AM

Headstock facing as many directions as the job requires. Always seated.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:48 AM

I answered the poll but there is no choice for multiple combinations. Sometimes I stand at a counter and other times I sit. Standing is faster for me.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I use a worktop (pool table) with the guitars neck in a rest and headstock hanging over the edge. This allows me to move around it and work on both sides of the headstock comfortably.

~ ~ Martin
Old 03-31-2024, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Need an option for other. Well I guess my lap could be considered a worktop.

I sit with the instrument(guitar, mandolin, banjo, etc.) on my lap, headstock to my left. Every once in a while I’ll lay them on the top of my couch, but headstock is always on my left regardless.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:02 PM

I do the whole thing sitting on a couch, guitar to my right, headstock in my lap. I'm mostly left handed, so this makes it easier to use my left hand for unwinding/winding string off/on the tuning machine posts.

20 minutes to do a slothead pinless fixed bridge 12 string without precutting or using a powered winder. Just a little less for my 10 and 8 string floating bridge instruments. Under 10 minutes for a pin bridge 6 string.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-31-2024, 12:04 PM

Well, just for the hell of it I voted 'huh'. I'm seated when I change strings and the headstock is on my left, guitar body on my lap. No choice for that.

And, I don't get the 'seated, headstock facing you'. How does that work?
Old 03-31-2024, 12:06 PM

Carefully………
Old 03-31-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Need an option for other. Well I guess my lap could be considered a worktop.

I sit with the instrument(guitar, mandolin, banjo, etc.) on my lap, headstock to my left. Every once in a while I’ll lay them on the top of my couch, but headstock is always on my left regardless.
Ditto for me. Started out doing it “properly” on a workshop style surface (dining room table on a repurposed yoga mat) headstock left for bass strings, then swing her around for trebles. Overkill as I got faster & better.

Now I’m on the sofa, headstock stays left, and fewer tools. String winder of course, tiny needle nose pliers with snipper part. Pull pins with my own “double-thumbnail” technique, which usually works.

(N.B. Eyeball protection! Always! Those strings whip out like wildcat claws!)

Open slotted headstock? Easier for me than regular, thanks to lute and classical guitar background.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Most of the time, on a worktop but occasionally seated on couch. Headstock always on the left.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-31-2024, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Carefully………
Yes, this too! :-)
Old 03-31-2024, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I have a workbench in my music room with a padded top. I use it for all guitar work and for gun cleaning. Don’t worry - I have gun cleaning pads that go down so I don’t get any solvents on the bench pad.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 03-31-2024, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I voted on a worktop, headstock to the left, but I move around the guitar as needed. I have a desk that moves up and down so I can use it for sitting and standing tasks. When I change strings, I raise the desk to a standing height and I have the headstock to the left, but I stand at that left end most of the time, only standing in front of the desk when I’m pulling the old strings out (after removing the ends from the headstock) and putting the new strings in at the bridge. But all of the unwinding of the old strings and winding of the new ones I do facing the headstock from the end. When I didn’t have a desk like this available, I’ve done the job on a kitchen island where I can stand on both the side and end of the guitar. And I always use a neck support and a soft mat.

-Ray
Old 03-31-2024, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Seated, guitar on stand facing me.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 03-31-2024, 01:01 PM

#5 in your poll reminds me of the story about George Harrison. He was having trouble keeping his Gretsch in tune and eventually had a tech look at it.

When was the last time you changed your strings the tech asked.

Huh? Change strings? Came the reply.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
change strings? -huh?, seated guitar facing you, take it to a dealer, worktop-headstock left, worktop-headstock right