The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2003, 01:42 PM

Default 714 CE vs K 14 CE which one ?

Well I have the Maple pretty much taken care of in my current
batch of wood guitars and a nice Collings OM 2 fills out a niche
for Marin like tones and easy playability. I find myself looking at some Taylors and I would like something different in Tone than these and I like the 714 I played last week at a store but have not played the K14 but see one every Sunday played at church and like the tone of it and the body is georgeous. His of course has a cedar top though and I do not think spruce would sound at all the same. Anyway the koa is a Lot more money and just wondered if it would be worth it and how it might compare with
the Maple and Rosewood tones of my current flock. Any comments about this ?

thanks

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-11-2003, 02:08 PM

Cool

Well, I have a cedar topped K14C that I like a whole lot....sweet, mellow guitar. I played an englemann topped K14c yesterday. If I didn't already have the one I have, that guitar would be a serious contender to come live with me. It was very nice. It seemed louder and brighter than my cedar, but still had warmth. I liked it a lot. Of course, I tend to like englemann as a top wood.

Koa vs rosewood.....I'm finding that I really like koa better than rosewood. I've been doing a lot of comparison playing between my 812 and JDCM. The 812 has more bottom to it and has a fuller tone. The JDCM has a lot more mids, but not the sustain that the rosewood has. One does have to keep in mind that the 812 is older that the JDCM. It's just that the tone of the koa just permeates my soul. Time will tell more as the JDCM opens up more. I haven't played the K14c too much lately to give more of a comparison. That JDCM is taking most of my playing time.

You really need to play sample of each and decide for yourself. I love koa.....you may not. Choices are good. Maybe you could find one of those 300 series koas Taylor is making. I understand they're pretty nice.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 07-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Don't Tread On Me

Default 414RES & 314KES

I am very familiar with both. They are different enough in sound that I recommend that you find a way to get both if you can. The 414RES and the 314KES would cost less than the K14es and just a little a little more than the 714es - with a normal discount that is.

If you get the K14, I recommend the englemann top unless you only fingerpick in which case consider the cedar top. You can over strum the cedar with a pick.

Another alturnative is a cocobolo model which can sound similar to both but not the same.

"Sometimes a brain can come in quite handy." Jibjab
Old 07-11-2003, 03:18 PM

I have both a 714 and a K22c. They are entirely different. Can't say one is better than the other.

It would be a VERY hard decision if I had to pick between the two. I agree, get both.

Killer
Old 07-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: choices

I'd vote for the K14 since you already have a rosewood Collings. I think the koa/Engelmann combination would fit in nicely as an alternative to maple and rosewood.

Grant
Old 07-11-2003, 04:49 PM

I never have player this guitars but for look I vote for the K14

98 Baby Mahogany
02 314ce
03 Custom 614ce in Red

Thanks to all the AGF members that have helped me !! you rock!!
Old 07-11-2003, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the prompt replys and helpful comments I particularly was interested in the comment,

"
Quote:
If you get the K14, I recommend the englemann top unless you only fingerpick in which case consider the cedar top. You can over strum the cedar with a pick.
I would appreciate you to elaborate a little about what you mean by "overstrum" the cedar. I once had a 514 CE and it got a little ''clangy ' when you slapped a hearvy rythum on it, now that I recall it had a unique sort of percussivness that could actually be quite nice. Could you elaborate a little on that?

I have a lead on an all Koa which I have no idea how it would sound but hope to drive over there soon and check out some of his , my local dealer is low on inventory and doesn't have much to pick from though he has a nice 814 , I think that would definatly be redundant with my Collings. Really want something really different than the maple or the rosewood. Maybe the 714 in Cedar would give a fresh vibe to the room. hmmmmmmmm

Too many Taylors not enough time . LOL

There is one other Taylor I want too the NS 72 CE in cedar and rose wood . I can't believe how much better it sounded than my NS 62 but the maple looks so dang good I would hate to part with it just because it sounds different . I want to try and record some classical passages with it before I decide to change to the 7 cedar this quick . Im beginning to feel fickle about geetars lately . LOL

Thanks again for the help. Looks like a field trip is in order this weekend. Sold two electrics and money is burning a hole in my pocket. LOL

later

Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Don't Tread On Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Stixx

I would appreciate you to elaborate a little about what you mean by "overstrum" the cedar. I once had a 514 CE and it got a little ''clangy ' when you slapped a hearvy rythum on it, now that I recall it had a unique sort of percussivness that could actually be quite nice. Could you elaborate a little on that?

There is one other Taylor I want too the NS 72 CE in cedar and rose wood . I can't believe how much better it sounded than my NS 62 but the maple looks so dang good I would hate to part with it just because it sounds different . I want to try and record some classical passages with it before I decide to change to the 7 cedar this quick . Im beginning to feel fickle about geetars lately . LOL

A Cedar top on any x14 could start to sound muddy on six string chords or bar chords strummed hard with a heavy pick. It depends on how you play and what you play. It might not happen with your style.

Any x10 is better, in my opinion, for harddriving styles.

Classical guitars typically have a cedar top and you should not have a problem overdriving the NS 72 CE with classical music. You would want the brighter sound of the NS 62 maple if you play flaminco. Guitar Center usually has a large selection of nylon string guitars that you can use for comparison purposes.

"Sometimes a brain can come in quite handy." Jibjab
Old 07-12-2003, 10:58 AM

I had a 714ce cedar and returned it. Started sounding rubbery. The K14C cedar I have now always keeps an edge. Being a maple fan, I like that.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:18 PM

Thanks again good advice and valuable to me . As it turns out , and Meridian I too am a fan of Maple. I have a 610 on order and I am sure you guys have heard me rant about how sick I was to learn of the SPEC in maple after already ordering my 610 . Well Problem solved. I went to buy the 714ce that I found out about at a dealer here in GA and was offered a good price . However I found the stock neck to be two thin for my tastes. The Sixes I am used to and even my Collings have all had wider necks and it suits my picken better

But I digress. Point is he had not one but two 614 SPEC maples hangin on the wall and said I could have the pick of the litter and offered me the magic number I was thinking of investing this time around so what the heck . No more excuses for not having a SPEC from this Summer strummers and alls well at the STiXX house now cause I have the brother and sister combo I always wanted . Matching maples . 614 Spec and NS 62 CE .

Now it is official . If it looks really good Im going to buy it even if I don' t need it > LOL

Now I don't know what the heck Im going to need the incoming 610 but it is a dread so maybe it will show me something when it gets here that makes it unique. Poor old Colling just didn't get playe today with all the fuss about the new SPEC but Meridian knows how seductive that maple can be and the neck suits me perfect and the flame on the back is just like the NS so now that my anal retentive needs have been met in spades maybe I can bet back to pickin and quit worring so much about wood. LOL

Anyway thanks for all the advice , I too think I will hold out for a Koa with cedar and I am sure I wont need anything for a while till I get the latest maple broken in and purrin.

Later

Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion