The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 01:44 PM

Default Yamaha LL16

any one own one?? problems?? thanks, jim
Old 05-15-2024, 01:58 PM

I once owned a LS-16 ARE some years ago : a great acoustic but finally found the cristal clear tone boring.

Compared with a LL-16, but that one delivered a tone almost as bright as the LS model.

It is a great guitar for sure, but not for my ears.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:12 PM

I've had similar feelings trying them, they're impeccably built and finished, just not a sound in the ballpark that really interests me. They seem very refined, sparkly, almost a little polite, and for someone else's playing style that could well be just the thing. I'd be curious to see if the M models get closer to my tastes.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-15-2024, 03:15 PM

I have the M model. It’s light, bright, and responsive. Definitely a more modern tone. I’m starting to realize that the vintage tone is more my flavor, so I definitely prefer the red labels. Love my FSX5. The LL16 may be finding a new home soon, as I’m gassing for the FGX5. I’ve never played the LL16R, so I can’t comment on that.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:29 PM

I own an LL-16D.
It is beautiful and sounds great.
I would put it's tone somewhere between a Rosewood Martin Dread and a full size Taylor guitar.

The pickup is good by itself but really comes to life when played through a DI/Preamp.

I had the guitar set up for my playing style and love the way it feels and plays.
All in all I love the guitar but not so much the pick guard.
I replaced it with a more traditional tortuous style guard.
Love the new look.

Mine came with a very nice hard case.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:08 PM

I’ve had an LL-16 for about 12 years or so, and I still like it. I don’t play it a lot, but that’s more about having other guitars to also play - there’s nothing but good things to say about the LL-16 IMO. Well made, sounds great, very sturdy build. The fact that it sounds different than my other guitars is probably why I like it.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:33 PM

Don't be afraid to experiment with strings. Ernie Ball Aluminum bronze or D'Addario Nickel Bronze work well with most of my Yamaha guitars for my taste.

Two things that make it stand out...
1) the neck is rock steady (multi ply)
2) the Engelmann top produces complex tones beyond Sitka topped guitars

I had an M. It was probably one of the top 3 best sounding guitars I've ever played. I own two LLX16's from the early 2010s. I don't dare part with them.

As stated, the pickups in the 16 now are decent -- better with a preamp. I kinda wish I still had that 16M to try with my LR Baggs Voiceprint DI.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:13 PM

I really like mine. Sounds great downtuned. For fingerpicking it's really something else. Flatpicking with thick picks as well. I'm a pretty light strummer and it works well for that too with a thinner pick.

I got the red orange burst one, and specifically found one with the really dark red around the edges it looks really beautiful. The natural version looks good too though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion