The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Nope, I was an Air Traffic Controller on fixed-wing aircraft carriers, and mine was out of cycle (back in San Deigo) during Operation Eagle Claw.

Yes, the Sierra Club on Magsaysay Blvd. had some crazy-talented bands. To my knowledge, they weren't playing on the counterfeit "Fenler and Gibson" junk that a plastered Sailor or Marine might buy next door.

Though legit gear was probably out of the financial reach of those players, the big club owners could easily cough up a few thousand for real Strats, Les Pauls and various tube-powered stacks. This might keep a smokin' hot house-band in months of indentured servitude, serving up note-perfect Foreigner, Eagles, Boston, Aerosmith, BÖC, Zep, Floyd, Skynyrd, Sabbath concerts every single night in packed clubs (that would give any American fire marshall PTSD).

I'll never forget a skinny 5-foot-tall fellow at the Astro Club in platform sneakers playing some freaking serious Daune Allman slide guitar, note for note, adding extended improv solos.

I saw all the huge groups that toured in the US back then, and those Olongapo club bands performed some of the tightest live music I've heard anywhere.
I lived in Olongapo in the mid “80’s, and the Sierra Club had fantastic live music during that timeframe as well!
Old 05-14-2024, 08:52 PM

If it's inflatable or made of ice cream, it's never a real guitar.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

There are some of great copy guitars that are quite famous. Some of the hand built Les Paul copies that were being made in the LA area 40 years ago became well known. Slash played one. There were Keeblers and a guy named Jim Foote made some as well. I have a hand wired Scumbag Amp made by Foote that has incredible PTP wiring and is a beautifully built circuit.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-15-2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
....How Do You Spot Fake Guitars? ....
By shopping at reputable dealers for the real deal. If one doesn't know a great deal about a make/model of guitar they are interested in, they should stay away from shady people selling "too good to be true" merchandise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion