The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2024, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I fully agree with this. The worst (by far) service and experiences I've ever had were in small shops. Of course many small shops are also great, but there are some that will rip you off and take advantage of people who don't know better. As an example, not too long ago I stopped in a local shop I'd driven by many times but never visited. I went in, played some guitars (at the urging of the shop owner), and had a nice chat with the guy. He was very opinionated, and of course all the stuff he carried was the best stuff around, etc, etc. Before leaving I decided to buy a set of strings to thank him for the experience. This guy looked me right in the face and charged me $17 for ONE SET of GHS electric strings (he knocked off a dollar because I was paying cash). WOW! I paid the money (shouldn't have) but do you think I will ever go back in there? Not a chance.
Is there any chance that store was in the downtown area of a city whose name starts with a "G"? If so, I know the store.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Is there any chance that store was in the downtown area of a city whose name starts with a "G"? If so, I know the store.
Not the place.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:27 AM

I registered to this site just to post some input on this topic.

I will NEVER buy ANY musical instrument or high dollar gear unless I've had a chance to play/use it in-person first. I know I'm not alone on this.

There are some things that ordering online is fine (and maybe even makes more sense). Musical instruments and audio equipment is not one of them. If a trend starts where B&M physical stores disappear, the entire musical instrument industry will suffer. I suspect person-to-person sales will become the new norm for those who are serious about their instruments/gear, know what they want, and will not buy it unless tested first. If our only choice is to buy online and hope for the best, or deal directly with MFGs, new instrument sales will decline and used instrument prices will increase. Quality used instruments that can be tested in-person will be highly sought-after.

I live in the Orlando FL area and we were fortunate enough to have 2 SA locations within a 15 minute drive or each other. One location started closing its' doors a few months ago because it was not in the nicest of areas, and wasn't doing the same level as business as the other location. Besides, most states are lucky to get 1 SA, and we had 2 within a 15 minute drive of each other (not to mention the other 7 locations in other parts of FL). It made sense as to why it was closing.

As of the announcement of bankruptcy and closing ALL stores as of 2 weeks ago, I'm a bit upset. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

I've never had a good customer service experience at GC and therefore never bought any guitars, other instruments, or equipment from them. Strings, accessories, and small stuff, but that's it. I'm willing to give them another chance purely out of lack of other options, but I do not have good expectations.

SA has been my go-to shop for 15-20 years or so. I have established a good rapport with the employees, purchase big ticket items monthly, send them any/all business I can, and they've treated me right every step of the way.

I like having a selection of new and used gear. GC usually has a good quantity of new gear selection, but lacks in used gear. When I lived in MD, there was a wonderful used instrument shop I'd buy stuff from all the time (Atomic Music), but I haven't found anything even remotely close to that here in FL. The pawn shops have used gear, but there are PLENTY of reasons I don't want to frequent pawn shops in order to browse used gear (don't think I have to list them, but I will if someone's curious). SA had that perfect mix of new and used gear and there is no suitable alternative for that in my area.

With the closing of SA, I see areas of opportunity for smaller shops to take in more business or to get started/established. SA had a niche that I've tried to describe above and haven't found elsewhere. Too bad they couldn't have done business a little differently over the years to keep it profitable. There is a void being created that GC physical stores aren't filling, online stores/direct from MFG could never fill, and not enough smaller stores exist to fill. Again, I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. Sad times indeed. The good side of the coin is that the opportunity is there for those paying attention and able to fill the void.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBman View Post
Sam Ash closes and now we're in an "era"? I don't think so.
In a way, I think the “post Sam Ash era” began when Sam Ash moved from 48th Street to 34th Street. The relocated store was a shadow of its former self (and anyone who visited Sam Ash and Manny’s in their hey-day would likely agree).
Old 05-20-2024, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I’m confused. The title is about the “post Sam Ash era” but the entire OP is just knocking GC with no mention of Sam Ash. I find very little similarity between the two companies.
In Phoenix the Sam Ash is about 2 blocks away from one of the larger Guitar Centers.

Big square box, small acoustic room. GC actually has a better selection of higher end stuff. Sam Ash has more band instruments. Otherwise, pretty similar, with more or less identical pricing.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-20-2024, 06:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I fully agree with this. The worst (by far) service and experiences I've ever had were in small shops. Of course many small shops are also great, but there are some that will rip you off and take advantage of people who don't know better. As an example, not too long ago I stopped in a local shop I'd driven by many times but never visited. I went in, played some guitars (at the urging of the shop owner), and had a nice chat with the guy. He was very opinionated, and of course all the stuff he carried was the best stuff around, etc, etc. Before leaving I decided to buy a set of strings to thank him for the experience. This guy looked me right in the face and charged me $17 for ONE SET of GHS electric strings (he knocked off a dollar because I was paying cash). WOW! I paid the money (shouldn't have) but do you think I will ever go back in there? Not a chance.
How much are these, normally?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-20-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
How much are these, normally?
$7 or $8 tops.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
$7 or $8 tops.
Oh wow, thanks.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion