The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-13-2024, 04:42 AM

Default Modifying and Binding Headstock on a Frakencoustic Guitar

I recently acquired a 'Frakencoustic' guitar basically for nothing. while looking for a hard case for my parlour guitar. I got a near new Fender Paramount case with this guitar inside it for less than $100 USD. The body is from an early 2000s Takamine G406S New Yorker with lots of beautiful inlay and binding, the neck is from a Daion guitar with maple binding, the Daion Logo is inlaid into the neck in maple - and the grafted headstock is from a Guild acoustic, very plain, probably made offshore. Although it looks very odd, it does sound decent especially if tuned to DADGAD.
I want to modify the Guild headstock to suit the rest of the look by trimming its shape to a geometrically simpler design of my own, and add an ebony cap with binding.
I understand that adding binding to the headstock of a finished guitar is prohibitive given a router will run into problems so what I am planning to ask a luthier to do is the following:
1: Shave 3-4mm off the top of the headstock
2: Trim the headstock to the new profile
3: Cut a slab of ebony - the same thickness as the material removed from the headstck, and a piece of mdf to the same shape as the modified headstock.
4. Temporarily join the ebony to the mdf
5. Router this piece removing just enough of the edge of the ebony to allow for binding
6. Laminate the trimmed ebony peice to the trimmed headstock,
7. add binding
8. spray and polish

Does this sound about right? What do others think?
The only thing I am really unsure of is the shaving of material off the top of the original headstock.
So far the only money I have put into this guitar is some Gotoh tuners, and I thought this would be an interesting project.
1990s Daion D Body
Gretsch Deltoluxe Parlor

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 05-13-2024, 07:53 AM

If you're paying a luthier, let him sort the process. If DIY, I'd do as follows.

Remove tuners and nut.

If you want an ebony cap you can use ebony veneer glued on and trimmed to fit. Veneer is usually only .016" -.020" thick so you shouldnt have to remove headstock material. You could also dye your current headplate black after sanding it.

Make an mdf template the shape of the headstock you desire.

Use double stick tape to attach mdf to headstock and trim to shape with a router pattern bit, preferably on a router table. Use a climbing cut on the end grain or final sand the end grain with a drum sander.

Now use a binding bit bit to cut your binding channel, preferably on a router table. You will sacrifice your mdf template but it will help you clear the fretboard.
You may have to cut the last 1/8" or so near the nut by hand with a chisel

I often use a 1/2" flush bit with a 3/8" bearing to cut a 1/16" notch.

Last edited by Fathand; 05-13-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:45 AM

The MDF pattern and use of a router are unnecessary. The simple way to do this is to bind the head plate before installing it. Just cut the head plate smaller to account for the binding thickness.
After installing the head plate, trim the headstock edges flush with the binding.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:25 PM

Thanks guys
I understand the process better now.
1990s Daion D Body
Gretsch Deltoluxe Parlor

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair