The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 05-15-2024, 01:12 PM
Humanist

Default 2021 Strahm Eros cutaway, Granadillo/German Spruce

2021 Strahm Eros, Granadillo/German Spruce

I am lucky enough to have five Strahm guitars here, 3 Eros models, and 2 of his 00 guitars. Let’s just say that I have found the sound I have been looking for.

However, I’ve never been a collector, and along with my other for-sale thread (with other builders) I find myself with difficulties in rotating through to give these five guitars enough playing time. I have settled into a four-guitar rotation, and find that I can let go of one of the Eros models.

I chose this particular guitar (of the 3) to offer here simply based on how darned attractive the Granadillo back and sides are…absolutely the most-attractive of any of the Strahm guitars that I have here. The sapwood on the back is gorgeous, as is the overall chatoyance of the wood…just spectacular. The photos from Dream Guitar, as good as they are, don’t actually capture the full visual beauty of this Granadillo.

Tonally they are so close that it’s really a toss-up as to which one I play on any given day, and I figured (no pun) that the best-looking of the bunch might be the most attractive to a potential buyer.

From Paul Heumiller at Dream Guitars: “Excellent string balance and note definition make this Strahm Eros model an excellent choice for all kinds of fingerstyle play. Reminds me of Jeff Traugott, but Stephen's got something all his own at work here too.”

Here is the original listing from Dream Guitars, with all the specification, photos, etc.!

https://tinyurl.com/2021Strahm

YouTube from Dream Guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axdOaGGC_xs&t=2s

Comes with a Calton-style case from Mainstage Cases in Canada.
I have added a top-quality David Enke (Open To Source Sensors) passive undersaddle pick-up, and swapped out the Gotoh 1:18 tuners for 1:21. I can swap a similar set of 1:18 tuners back in, if desired. Customer/buyers choice...including a couple of different button-styles!

Priced at $10,900 plus shipping. Strahm’s pricing starts at $13,000 for a base guitar, and this guitar, with the wood upgrades, cutaway, etc., would spec out at about $16-17K.

Please email me at [email protected] for this, any questions, comments, or more information.

I am not looking for trades, thanks. Pricing does not include shipping, but I have a FedEx account that provides for comparatively low cost, both ground and air.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 05-22-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:31 AM
Humanist

A few additional photos from the Dream Guitars website...

Old 05-27-2024, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! How would you compare this guitar to a Simon Fay since you have ample experience with both builders and their works.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 06-01-2024, 09:49 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Very nice! How would you compare this guitar to a Simon Fay since you have ample experience with both builders and their works.

Great question , Kenny!

And my answer is a key to how I view the tonal spectrum of guitars, with the fundamental of a note vs. the overtones being produced.

First, however, I will digress into the basic structural differences between a Fay Model One and a Strahm Eros. The Fay is a standard 15” across the lower bout, an OM size, and with a 25” scale. The Eros is shaped like an OM, but is 15-1/2” across the lower bout, and has a scale length of 25.4”.

These differences are rather important to note, and give the guitars a different feel, and certainly different tonal qualities…along with the structural bracing (etc!) differences each builder brings to the table.

Basic tonal observations:

Simon (and Rebecca Urlacher) have developed a sound that tends towards a Somogyi-esque delivery…that is, the grand-piano sound, a whole bunch of rich overtones *combined* with pinpoint clarity on each note.

The guitar world (the players, that is) love this sound…as do I…as evidenced by the success of Somogyi and all of his apprentices. This is NOT to imply that they’re all doing the exact same thing, but there is a tonal familiarity with all of these builders.

Simon is not a former Somogyi apprentice, however…he developed this with his own research and building style.

Stephen Strahm came from the Santa Cruz shop, and has also spent time with Jeff Traugott (amongst other experiences). The Traugott sound, to me, has considerably more “fundamental” in its overall response. Strahm’s sound seems to follow this model. Certainly very pleasing overtones are there, but not the Somogyi grand-piano sound…Strahm builds delivering a more direct, more fundamental of each string, and under my hands, more separation between strings.

My experience has Strahm firmly in this camp. And this is truly the tone I prefer!

Both builders are at the top of their game in regards to fit, finish, building techniques, etc. (fitting in with the best of the best), and for these different tonal outcomes, they are also at the top of the industry…it’s a personal experience for each player, under their own hands, regarding which sound one prefers at any given time!

Old 06-09-2024, 11:25 AM
Humanist

Still available...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars