The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-22-2024, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's my favorite of the pieces I'm working on right now.
It is a beautiful piece and I am finding it great for working on some subtleties for clean playing and tone. For example the bass A in the second measure I am experimenting with playing up at 5th fret on 6th string vs the open A. (I slightly prefer the tone of the open string but I'm finding it easier to play cleaner with a full barre at the 5th fret.)

And then similar the treble section at the start of the third measure whether I play that up from the 5th fret or play down at open / first position.

I do have the timing down for the whole piece given that it's straight 8ths although again I am finding a lot of opportunity for push / pull in the phrasing.

Last edited by Aspiring; 05-22-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
It is a beautiful piece and I am finding it great for working on some subtleties for clean playing and tone. For example the bass A in the second measure I am experimenting with playing up at 5th fret on 6th string vs the open A. (I slightly prefer the tone of the open string but I'm finding it easier to play cleaner with a full barre at the 5th fret.)
I'll have to try that.

Quote:
And then similar the treble section at the start of the third fret whether I play that up from the 5th fret or play down at open / first position.
Not sure where you mean.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-22-2024, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll have to try that.

Not sure where you mean.
Lol I meant fourth measure not third fret. That's what I get for trying to sneak a peak at Agf while working.

Last edited by Aspiring; 05-22-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lol I meant fourth measure not third fret. That's what I get for trying to sneak a peak at Agf while working.
I tried the 6th string 5th fret in measure 2 and that worked a lot better for me, thanks for that.

Here's a couple of nice versions, David Tutmark and Emma Rush. I do the same as Rush in the 2nd half of measure 6, but I slide up to the A on the 2nd string, 8th fret, where she just frets it.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-23-2024, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Barry, those are definitely versions to provide some inspiration and ideas. Which source are you pulling your arrangement from?

I'm using one this one https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8jTvy6PWHmNndQ

And this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vr0R0SNbatugjB
Old 05-23-2024, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Barry, those are definitely versions to provide some inspiration and ideas. Which source are you pulling your arrangement from?

I'm using one this one https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8jTvy6PWHmNndQ

And this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...vr0R0SNbatugjB
I got mine from classclef, but there is an error in measure 4 (the tab is wrong, but the notation is correct for that last D note). I downloaded the GuitarPro file from classclef and made the change.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-23-2024, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got mine from classclef, but there is an error in measure 4 (the tab is wrong, but the notation is correct for that last D note). I downloaded the GuitarPro file from classclef and made the change.
The first link above is classicclef. The second link actually shows the music as that last note still being a d# (as per classicclef and it's tab) but dropping to the natural on the first note of measure 5. The second link also has suggested fingering along with barre suggestions.

I am actually playing the 4th section with the non open strings from classicclef up one position. See below. This is the 4th and start of 5th measure.

Screenshot%202024-05-23%20165446.jpg
Old 05-23-2024, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The first link above is classicclef. The second link actually shows the music as that last note still being a d# (as per classicclef and it's tab) but dropping to the natural on the first note of measure 5. The second link also has suggested fingering along with barre suggestions.

I am actually playing the 4th section with the non open strings from classicclef up one position. See below. This is the 4th and start of 5th measure.
Now I remember what I fixed (not the 4th measure). The 5th measure has what I thought was an error. I play it as not a G, but the natural D to complete the descending bass. You have it with the natural D and G in the above post, which is good.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 05-23-2024 at 06:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical