View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Default Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age?

I've finally sold off the last of my electric guitar equipment to begin the pilgrimage to the promise land of simplicity. I'm looking for a lifer! The budget is $2200 and I'm in the hunt for a Gibson J45, but I don't know what variation of the J45 to go for. I'd be buying used and probably sight unseen which makes me a little nervous but I really don't have another option. I'll be buying online from GuitarCenter used stock so I'll at least be protected by their 30 day return policy.

Anyway, I'm torn between spending ~$1,800 for a used J45 Standard or upping to ~$2200 for a True Vintage model. I understand the True Vintage is brighter and perhaps offers more clarity (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I also know its lighter.

First of all, can anyone attest to the True Vintage being, in most factors, better than the Standard (worth the upgrade in budget)? Secondly, I'm worried that down the road the True Vintage may not stand up as well to the test of time (usage, warping, shrinkage, ect.) as the more heavily-built Standard would.

Can anyone shed some light on those concerns/questions?