View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Yes, bolt-on necks are infinitely easier (and thus less expensive) to reset. Absolutely no comparison.

But when done properly, whether the guitar has a bolt-on or dovetail neck joint it has no discernible effect on the sound.

When Fender started making acoustic guitars with bolt-on necks back in the 1960's, and some lowball European manufacturers like Eko and (I think) Framus followed suit, the results were not good.

But the designs nowadays are much more sophisticated, and as result more companies have embraced bolt-on systems.

As for Martin's mortise and tenon neck joint guitars sounding subtly different from their dovetail models, this is true, but it has everything to do with their use of a "modified A" bracing pattern on those guitars instead of their traditional X bracing.

Anyway, I used to believe that no decent acoustic guitar had a bolt-on neck, but that was before I knew that Collings uses bolt-on neck joints on all their guitars. Once I learned that I did a complete 180° turn, because most Collings guitars I've played have been superb instruments. So obviously THEIR bolt-on neck attachment doesn't hurt the tone in any way.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller