View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
jpbat....my friend who actually makes copies of the old Selmer guitars, told me that these guitars were NOT made for Gypsy jazz music, they were just regular guitars made in France, the Gyspy Jazz guys adapted them to their music. They were using all sorts of guitars for gyspy music....'f' hole archtops and the like. I find the Selmers great for blues, jazz, any percussive rhythm guitar playing, and doing leads, cutting through the mix at jams.....all good...I have one and don't even play Gypsy Jazz....
oh yes, Mario Macaferri didn't designed his guitars with gypsy music in mind, it's just that the use of these guitars by Django (mainly), and by almost all gypsy jazz player since, is leading to the belief that they are good only for gypsy music, which is very untrue.
I personnally find the design very smart, and I don't play any gypsy jazz.
The Gitane I own is a terrific fingerstyle machine.
It really "sings", I like its visual aspect, and it doesn't cost a arm and a leg.
And what impressed me a great deal is that *any* D-500 I tried (about 6 to date), had the same behaviour as mine.

Being willing to give a go at *any* 1"7/8 nut guitar (I have a Folklore Ovation, a Takamine EN30C, a few resos, the upcoming Brunner will have a special wide neck geometry too), I tried several of those Blueridge, and to date was not impressed by them, but probably have been unlucky. Anyway, it can be seen as a lack of consistency in the production. They are lovely, tho.

BTW, blue-wily-fox, can your friend have a website or anything, so I can drool all I want on his guitars ? (you know... GAS...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic