View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM

This is in trying to resolve that equation that I discovered the Macaferri's and resonators.
There are models with 1"7/8 nut, and then you can enlarge the string spacing at bridge to your liking.
The cheapest model I found was a SX "copy" of an oval hole Selmer. We are talking dirt cheap here, and gives a lot for the money. I sold it because the sound was not really inspiring for me, but I found it a really good blues machine that could fit your style, Jesse. Parallel bracing and all. Easy to have a test, knowing the price (200 bucks with a nice case, now this is cheap...)
The Gitane D-500 I'm using now is wonderful. Much more versatile than expected. The image of gypsy guitar is strong, but this model is much less dry than usual. I tried several ones since, and they are consistent, which is even more surprising.
The tricone and single cone resonators are also tweakable. I happen to like the sound, but of course not for everyone.
Using a tricone as a fingerstyle machine is interesting, tho. See my signature for examples.
A single cone is very different.
The response of these design to the touch is very rewarding.

Now, these are *not* all solid wood instruments...

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

Last edited by jpbat; 05-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.