View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
This is not really true. Dominance theory is based on observed canine behavior. Parrots in the wild don’t follow a social hierarchy based on dominance. Parrots prefer higher places because that’s where they feel safer, not because they want to assert status. This came from a vet.
Was that an Avian Vet? Read "Parrot training" by Bonnie Munro Doane(who has been a member of the Association of Avian Veterinarians since 1987)
pages 32&33. basically saying that all Parrots have an instinctive drive for dominance and they want to be number one in either a wild flock or a human family.also adding while on your shoulder they "feel" physically bigger than there human owner. So while out of the cage don't let them perch higher than you. And I tell you there is many stages of development, sexual and other factors. You can get bit. while they are on your shoulder, so could just be in a bad mood as well. The book I referenced is one of many I've read about the above besides other articles. Fortunately I have smaller Birds(A Yellow sided Green cheek conure and a White faced Lutino Cockatiel (looks albino but isn't and doesn't have red eyes)