View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Default NGD - who knew Maple/Sitka could sound like this!

Today I happened to be at Guitar Center when a guy came in with two used Taylors to trade in for a brand new Custom Taylor.

One of the guitars he brought in was a 1995 615 (maple/Sitka) in very good condition.

I'd been looking at Gibson J-200's over the last several months, but could never find one I liked (I remember the first one I ever tried years ago was very good . . should've bought it, I guess). So, I took a look at this one and played it. Wow!

I went home and got my custom GS (maple/Englemann) to do an A/B with to confirm what I thought I was hearing.

This 615 is incredibly warm and full of overtones . . . I'm still trying to find the ROSEWOOD that must be in the guitar somewhere.

I needed another guitar like I need a hole in my head, but I couldn't pass this one up. I passed up a similar deal a month ago . . it was a used D-42 that was incredibly warm in its tone . . . should've grabbed it, I suppose, but I just couldn't justify it at the time.

Anyway, this thing is awesome, and will make a great strummer . . . . . it's everything a Gibson J-200 SHOULD be . . . so why aren't they like this?