View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
Blue Chip not only started as a machine shop, they still operate as a machine shop first and foremost. Matt Goins is a musician himself and stumbled on the materials he uses as a pick. Which likely shapes his marketing strategy, or lack thereof as some see it. He is not trying to make a bunch of money on the picks, even though most folks think the price for one is high he is mostly only covering costs for the expensive sheets of material they are made from. That also might help explain why he doesn't really care about how Dunlop or anyone else numbers their picks. He pretty much does his own thing, will be the first to tell anyone that his picks may not be to everyone's liking, and offers your money back if you don't like the pick. I think that's about the most anyone could ask for.
For the record, Allen, I think Matt does an incredible job. The product is beautifully machined and finished, and it's obvious they know what the heck they're doing as a machine shop.

Your info corroborates everything I've heard from other folks who know the Goins family. What he's done is remarkable in a very mature market: To discover a new material that has essentially revolutionized the way we look at guitar picks. Wow, that's quite an accomplishment.

Great stuff, Allen. Thanks for educating us on some of this inside info.

Scott