View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Good point, Allen. I just find it confusing because the whole pick world -- including Dunlop, the best and largest pick company in the world -- has gone metric.

BTW, in fabricating our own materials, I discovered the reason why: All machine shops and fabricators have stayed with the English system since time immemorial. Since Blue Chip started as a machine shop, not a pick manufacturer, this is the system they are familiar with and have always used.

Thanks for explaining that, Allen. I never actually understood their model numbering system.

Scott
Blue Chip not only started as a machine shop, they still operate as a machine shop first and foremost. Matt Goins is a musician himself and stumbled on the materials he uses as a pick. Which likely shapes his marketing strategy, or lack thereof as some see it. He is not trying to make a bunch of money on the picks, even though most folks think the price for one is high he is mostly only covering costs for the expensive sheets of material they are made from. That also might help explain why he doesn't really care about how Dunlop or anyone else numbers their picks. He pretty much does his own thing, will be the first to tell anyone that his picks may not be to everyone's liking, and offers your money back if you don't like the pick. I think that's about the most anyone could ask for.