View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
20 minutes down the road?

Are you back yet?

All of the what you said above is why we value your opinion, ZW!

Err, for the people that think the new L-00 Murph sounds better than a real vintage Gibson L-00, well...really? You think it would sound better than my 1937? Ha ha ha ha ha .... (but I would take the new one out of the house and my oldie, hmm, nope)....

BluesKing777.
Assuming the Murphy Lab sports scalloped bracing to be fair I would be inclined to run one up against a 1940s L00. Just do not happen to have one of those handy.

The thing that I love about Gibson though is that back in the day when they were starting to figure out how to build an X braced flattop it was pretty much an experiment in chaos. The factory itself was a mish-mash of tools dies, and fixtures. Looking at just the L00 they were built with 12, 13 and 14 fret necks, kerfed or solid lining, the occasional raised fingerboard, and such. As the years progressed builds got heavier while finishes transitioned from hand rubbed, to hand rubbed with a final sprayed coat, to fully sprayed. The point is that Bozeman can take a ton of measurements and do as thorough an inspection of a given guitar as they want. Chances are though, it will not be a dead ringer for your guitar even if built the same year as that they were copying.