View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 12:40 PM

A clip on tuner runs about 11-25 bucks depending on the model.
Let's say you go with the cheapest. Even wholesale pricing is probably only going to be 8-9 bucks, so you are looking at adding in 90 bucks just to add in 10 tuners. While that might be a worthwhile addition later on, when you are first starting out, that's going to be almost half the cost of one guitar. Plus you are going to have students that leave the thing on, batteries will wear down and need replacement, etc.

You might consider getting one tuner that the teacher can see (tune top string to low E), then teach them how to self tune to bring the others to pitch.

When you start looking at cases running 100 bucks retail, thin gig-bags for 30 bucks, and a 220 dollar guitar, and a 250/instrument and case/gig bag budget, you start running out of room for extras quickly.

Other things. Has the school budgeted for music books? Many schools these days require music students to purchase a specific book to teach from, but the school also needs to acquire the books as well (maybe a teaching version?)
Do they have music stands they can use (is the band/orchestra willing to share?)
Who is responsible for changing strings/broken strings?
Has the school thought about approaching a local music store and asked about them leasing/providing school discounts on specific instruments to students?
How does the school handle band/orchestra instruments for students? When I was growing up, if you wanted to be in band, there were several options. You could rent an instrument, in which case you gave a damage deposit, but paid out 5-10 bucks a month to rent the instrument. (it would be more now). You could also buy an instrument either with or without a repair plan. If the instrument was damaged, you would get a loaner while yours was being repaired. Finally, some instruments were owned by the school and were considered "advanced" instruments. For instance, the double valve trombone I played my junior/senior year in High School was school owned. The bass drum for all the bands I was in was owned by the school, as were the marching band drums. The mellophones were owned by the school and loaned to french horn players in marching band, The tuba, sousaphone, glockenspiel, chime/bells were school owned, etc.

A lot of the rentals/repairs were all done through the school. However, these days, you probably need to have the students work with the music store directly.

I have my lesson later on this week at my local music store that also supplies a lot of band/orchestra equipment in my local area. I am on fairly good terms with the owner, so I will ask them what they might recommend as an approach. Obviously, this will all be conditional (might not be for a week or two), because there might be another customer in the store and I won't want to interrupt a potential sale.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple