View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Feedback wanted - 1991 Martin D28 LSH

A friend has one of the above mentioned instruments - apparently it is one of 200 that were made in 1991 to commemorate the retirement of an employee(?) who had been with the company for 47 years. It seems to be very nice woods, has some very nice snowflake inlay on the fingerboard, bridge, and tuner knobs, and a double abalone inlay around the sound hole.

The guitar plays very nicely, with a strong, classic Martin dread sound - I have to admit, I am more than a little enamored with it. But it is almost 20 years old, and has been very well played, and is really showing some of its "experience" - no damage I can see, but numerous dings and bumps in the soundboard, and the beginnings of a center seam split just below the bridge. The action is very low, plays well but with just a bit of buzz when heavily flat-picked, and could really use a new set of strings. Not sure what the "Large Sound Hole" really offers. Has a schnazzy case that you have to rotate knobs to close it - kinda a PITA if you ask me -

He got the guitar as collateral for a loan to someone he knew, who has not returned and picked up the guitar for over 4 years now, and he wants his money. He feels the guitar may be worth over $3000, but based on what little I kind find about this model and what I see about the condition, I think his expectations may not be met.

So - some feedback please - does anyone know anything more about this model, or have one and can give me some feedback on it, and does anyone want to throw me an idea of a fair price for this? He needs to sell quickly to make his rent, and I would love to get it, but I want to make him a fair offer -

I'll also post this over at UMGF, but I hoped maybe a couple of you have some info? Thanks in advance! Tad