View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM

The other answers are probably the way to go. I will just throw this out there, as you mentioned football players.

A few years back I was helping a young kid get started on guitar. He had tried on and off for several years, but he would get frustrated and quit.

This kid was huge. He was 6' 7", weighed close to 300 lbs. and he had hands like a baseball glove. He was too big for the guitars he had been trying to learn on. (yes, I know, there are huge people who can fingerpick mandolins, good for them, but this kid wasn't one of them)

Anyway, I had a Seagull S6-12 string lying around (at the time I had three or four of them). I strung one up as a six string, threw a set of mediums on it, took off the extra tuners, and gave it to the kid. He loved it. It was the first guitar he was able to play cleanly and it was because of the that big, and now very roomy, neck. The kid stuck with it and became a guitar player. He eventually met up with a Collings 12-Fret Dread (huge neck) he got a great deal on.

Sometimes really big people just need bigger guitars.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.