View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

As a lot of people are headed their way to Artisan for the weekend, Steve not only has some spec guitars he's bringing with him that he managed to complete, but he also has my guitar ready for the finish room to apply the nitrocellulose lacquer finish. As you all know, this process takes time and shouldn't be rushed. Steve explains that he can't resist lingering over the guitar at this stage, for the guitar is so sensual and so present in this raw state.
However, alas, he must mask and prepare for the impending finish to be applied. Here are those "nude" photos.

First up is the bridge. It is now carved, fitted to the dome of the top and waxed. As you can see, it is completely original, and like most every part on this guitar, it too has been designed for function. It doesn't hurt that it's beautiful too...

Peeking through the sound hole and rosette, you can see the label. The label is made with two pieces of rice paper pressed over leaves that have been gathered by Steve Klein and Steve Kauffman on their travels together. I think this is a really nice touch and a very eloquent reminder of the bond that the two share. I am honored that it is being shared with me...

Here is the upper bout with the soundhole already masked...

Steve says that this as perfect as a master grade Alpine top could be...

The beautiful Brazilian back isn't too shabby either. I am also thrilled by the narrow wedge detail...

The last two photos show details of the heel and bottom graft as well as the showing off the Brazilian binding and the all wood white/black/white purfling. Steve's opinion is that plastics or composites can't compare for a sense of history and craft. I tend to agree. Not to mention, look at all those tiny miters just exquisitely executed...

So, the next update will most likely be a finished guitar. For those of you headed to Artisan, please make it a point to check out what Steve has to offer. If anything, you'll meet a heck of a nice guy.