View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
and how...

I have to agree. This whole truss rod thing is a storm in a teacup, as far as I'm concerned. I know others like to tweak or like the reassurance of knowing the option is there (and others outright disagree...) But I've had my pre-peavey GX since 2010, used both mediums and lights and never had a problem.
People just aren't used to it yet... and acoustic players can greatly resist change. The "no truss rod" method offers you stability. A lot of times people adjust the truss rod when the problem is actually a high/low saddle anyways.

Michael Manring (plays with Don Ross & Andy McKee), who is arguably one of the most talented bass players alive, has been using 3 octave fretless composite necks for years with no truss rod. His action HAS to be perfect. He demands so much from his instrument. He will change tunings over a hundred times in some songs and his necks don't move. He tours and never worries about his necks. Many composite necks do not have truss rods. If the relief is correct, what is there to adjust? String height is adjusted at the saddle.

Here's a ridiculous example of Michael's playing, progressive slapping and tapping while integrating harmonics and re-tuning like crazy and just ... WOW... in someones living-room (???)