View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Yes, Alastair is documented as saying they discontinued hollow (i.e. no truss rod) mechs because customers wanted the option to adjust neck relief which the two way truss rod in his guitars can do. Like most above I'd say a truss rod is not required in a CF guitar in the same way as in a tone wood guitar but I do like the ability to tweak the setup that my X7's truss rod allows.
Actually, by reengineering the hollow neck to solid solved two issues for Emerald. As stated, it allowed for a 2-way titanium truss rod, but also eliminated the 'thwack' sound experienced by some players (like me) due to the unwanted tones created by the hollow neck, particularly by those who barefinger pick/strum. Those no use picks don't seem to notice it, or not as much to be a problem. It was very noticeable and annoying to me (and some others as well) particularly on the 6-string neck of my 6/12 Chimaera such that when I brought it to the attention of Alistair, he generously offered to replace the guitar if I was willing to wait until he re-designed with the solid/titanium truss rod neck(s). I took him up on it and the wait was well worth it. Problem solved and I'm happy to be able to tweak the necks should I want to. Real stand-up guy!

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-19-2015 at 11:06 AM.