View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 AM

I feel kind of bad about this being resurrected, mostly because I think Peavey is already facing an uphill battle competing against other CF builders, especially with pricing and brand name ("What's that?" / "It's a CA guitar." / "Huh?" / "Composite Acoustics." / "Oh, who makes it?" / "CA Guitars. It's a CA Guitars guitar. It's a Composite Acoustics acoustic." Sigh.)

Between '03 and '09, I owned 9 or so pre-Peavey CAs...partly because I was a fan, and partly because I was chasing perfection. (Some I kept for years, some I sold or returned quickly.) About half, especially earlier models, had neck angle issues or too much relief, especially with heavier strings. (As I understand, pre-Peavey CA's method of getting proper relief was allowing their necks to flex into the correct relief. That almost worked.) But their necks did flex, and I personally think they did too much.

From what I've read, Peavey fixed neck angle with a new machine and made the necks stronger. I can't personally comment on current CAs. Did try a Peavey Cargo that was good.

There are some good pre-Peavey CAs out there, don't get me wrong.

My Emerald has a truss rod, but it's just for adjusting to preference--I've put a variety of string tensions on it without seeing the neck change. That's ideal. I've heard the same about Rainsong, but I haven't experimented with gauges on my Rainsong.