View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirflyguy2000 View Post
I am intrigued that this discussion ended in 2010. Here we are, 5 years later, and I just pulled up their catalog. NO TRUSSROD! Any comments?
Wow, this five year old thread sure brings back some memories.

To CA, it would appear that Peavey did not think an adjustable truss rod was needed. What was needed of course was to make the guitars profitable, so the days of the $799 Cargo RAW, and $999 OX RAW are gone. Perhaps once folks accept the new pricing, Peavey can start thinking about a truss rod.

A lot has happened in the five years since I started this thread. Rainsong introduced two amazing models, the Shorty and the Parlor, a new 12-fret short scale neck option, as well as some new finishes. We now have a take down all carbon fiber travel guitar built in China priced at $1099 with K&K style pickup, the Journey OF660. The designer of the Cargo, Ellis Seal, got together with McPherson Guitars to build a better Cargo, the Kevin Michael travel guitar. And while this new CF travel guitar is better in every way than the Cargo, sadly it needed to come in at a $2200 price tag, which has been a hard sell. I'm told a full size version of this guitar is in the works, but details are very limited.

Besides new shapes and sizes, we have a new material as well. Joe Luttwak, owner and design genius of Blackbird Guitars, introduced a new material he calls Ekoa. The new material sounds so much like wood that it just may be a game changer in the industry. The Clara Uke holds it's own with the best solid wood Ukulelels out there, and the closest tonal comparison we have to the new El Capitan is a Collings MJ. No kidding. Stay tuned to more from Joe.

Sadly Macnichol guitars, a huge advocate of CF guitars has shut down, as did their carbon forum. Mike and I shared a strong passion for carbon guitars, in fact we would send each other our customs for evaluation. I spent a whole afternoon comparing his all unidirectional Jumbo to a standard JM100, and a CO-JM1000, and wrote a review on his forum. His custom Jumbo actually launched the short-lived Rainsong Bluegrass model. I sent Mike our first LA limited, the LA1-LE, which was the first Rainsong to feature a unidirectional top on a hybrid body. After his evaluation Mike sent me an amazing video of the guitar. The LA1-LE launched the Shorty of course, and the rest is history. Mike is a sponsor/member here, so hopefully he will chime in from time to time to share his extensive knowledge.

Oh, and since Larry Pattis was so prominent in this thread, I want to mention that since starting this thread, I got to meet Larry in person at one of his shows. The man is not only a phenomenal guitarist, but a really great guy as well. Looking forward to his next LA show.