View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 AM

I've taken private lessons from two instructors. The first wasn't a good fit and it lasted about 4 months. The second was a better fit but it wasn't my type of music, again only lasted a few months. The second instructor help to bring into focus theory, something I had been self studying. I've bought chord books and theory books. That's about all the outside instruction I've had.

I play original music. How I'm learning is by experimentation that includes noodling, recording and looping. I practice scales and chords, then combine them. I've made overlays of scales and have laid them on top of one another, created new scales based upon common notes from combined scales. For the past half year or so, I've made myself complete new pieces. Practice them until they are well ingrained before starting another one. I've been recording them and through the act of recording it's made me play with more discipline, which has improved the technical aspect of playing.

Playing at open mics and getting an occasional gig has also forced me to explore another aspect of playing, that's sound management, stage setup, presence and ambience.

I've been playing for about 7 years now, I'm seeing progress at a more rapid pace than I have anytime in the past. When I started this thing call playing the guitar, I figured it would take me about 11 or 12 years before I would be where I could actually play. I think if I keep doing what I'm doing, I'll get there.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk