View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

This is from someone who has been mostly self taught.

I started with books learning on my own. it was a slow process. Then I met a few people who I picked up some things from. My ex FIL, (I miss that guy) was patient and taught me a lot on how to play basic country, carter style and some basic runs. We would sit up until 2 AM drinking coffee and playing guitar.

Then I went to a teacher for a couple of years that mainly consisted of, hey teach me this song. So he did what I ask of him.

I have learned some from DVD lessons since. Eric Lambert is great if you want to start learning the basics of Blue Grass/Flat picking. Steve Kaufman's video lessons are good but I find he gets pretty advanced pretty quickly.

My advice for anyone who wants to learn the guitar is this. Focus on theory and the mechanics of playing first and don't try to start playing songs like most people do. Once you learn how music works the playing part will be easier. Sure you might be able to play some songs, but you won't understand what you are doing and if you don't understand what you are doing you won't be able to advance on your own with your own ear. Unless of course you are just one of those people born to play the guitar. I wasn't and still am not that guy. But I am too old to go back and learn the right way.

My teacher told me once. Mike, you can play the guitar well enough to play with people so that is what you need to do. You will learn as much doing that as I can teach you. When I ask him to explain he said, when you play with people you don't want to let them down or be that guy who is the weak player so you will focus on learning. I suppose he knew what he was talking about.

The very best advice I have for anyone is, start YOUNG. You learn better when your brain is in the developing and learning phase of life. For those who are past that point, get a teacher and let them guide you and don't think you have to start playing stairway to heaven on day one.