View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
I heard Gibson's string machine broke. The one they've been using since the 1950's. It couldn't be fixed and they made an executive decision not to replace it.

D'addario now make Gibson Strings, they also make Fender Strings...
Funny, because I think D'Addario family even sold their original string business to Gibson. There is a difference between string winders and wire producers. I doubt Gibson ever produced their own wire. Probably was supplied

D'Addario is actually primarily a musical wire manufacturer. They draw musical wire that is be used for instrument string manufacture. They produce their own brand of strings, white label manufacture strings for others, and supply raw wire to other string winders. I suspect that D'Addario is now the main supplier of spec wire to most other string winding companies and finished string products to most other music marketing companies that don't wind their own, probably even into the piano and harp markets. Winding machines are pretty basic and it is relatively low barrier to entry for a company to start winding and finishing their own strings. Drawing wire is a much different proposition. I can't imagine any company would get into wire production solely for guitar strings and their own house brand. The operational and capital costs would require you to supply outside your own brand. The capacity would far exceed the demand for any house brand strings.