View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM

I purchased my spruce top mini in Oct. 2011, and continue to be very pleased with its sound, feel and intonation!

Yesterday, I went to my local Taylor shop to see if they had a Mini Hog, and much to my delight....they had just received one the day prior. I played it for about 45 minutes.....both strumming with pick and fingerstyle. This guitar sounded really nice to me and others that were in the store. It definitely offers a "warmer" sound and doesn't project quite as well as the Spruce top mini......especially when playing fingerstyle. It's warmer sound offers a nicety and uniqueness of its own that is very satisfying to play. Setup and intonation were fantastic and felt great in my hands.

Guess what......there was no way I was going to leave the store without buying it!!

Some will ask.....which do I like better? My answer is BOTH, but for different playing styles and sounds. Those that prefer the typical brighter Taylor sound will probably prefer the spruce top....those that prefer a warmer and possibly richer sound for lack of a better description will probably prefer the mahogony. Both sound great to me and are very fun/inspiring to play!

BTW....nice playing OP! I also really liked the A/B comparison video by fazio!!