View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hi Carbonius, and fellow Canuck. I bought a CA Cargo in '08 and still really enjoy it. Because I liked it so much, in fall of '08, I bought a tobacco burst GXi, never having tried one. I thought it would be somewhat like a Cargo on steroids and it was in a way, but it really turned out to be another tonal beast altogether. I sold it in 2012 to help fund the purchase of my Emerald 6/12 Chimaera double neck.

The tonal qualities of the GXi as you describe seems familiar and strings aren't really going to change any characteristics that you may be less than enamoured with. Given the brands/models that have since emerged, today the GXi would not be up there in my top choices. I'd be considering either an Emerald X20, one of the Rainsongs, or maybe a Blackbird, with a lean to the X20. Just thought I'd share my perspective.
Emerald X20... WW!!! The bevel, the cool head-stock, the 24 fret neck, the amazing woody options AND... the price. I have not checked on Emerald for years. They have certainly upped their game. The guitar just makes so much sense to me. I'd prefer 4.5 depth but I can do 4.75. Am I right that this is about a Grand Auditorium size or more of a Grand Concert? The lower bout is not very big, but the depth is more like a dread. Do you get good bass out of these X20's??