View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Okay, so although I am Carbonius, I have yet to own a Carbon guitar. I was too afraid to buy one years ago as nobody carried them around here. Well now a local dealer has a nice GXi Copper burst in at an amazing price. I think it was a demo model. At first I didn't like the tone much as I was really used to Taylor's. The tone is a little darker, but not bad. I have had substantial hearing changes through the last 3 years and found the GXi tone more attractive now.

The sustain is very good in the first 9 or so frets, average in the 10-14 range and lacking for the rest of the neck. In fact, very strange overwhelming resonance occurs in the 15+ range (yes I play there). The sustain is MOST noticeable for me in the D to F# range on the A string. EVERY Taylor I have tried lacks sustain in that range and the notes get sucked out like a vacuum. The GXi has the same sustain all over that lower register

I find that the high E & B get a bit lost with moderate to heavy strumming. Is that just from the players perspective?? Some have said that these guitars sound quite different from player vs. listener. How do I remedy that?? Play close to a wall in a small room?? Most of my playing will be just for me. I am assuming that the guitar comes with Phos/Bronz. Would 80/20's add a little clarity and sparkle??
Hi Carbonius, and fellow Canuck. I bought a CA Cargo in '08 and still really enjoy it. Because I liked it so much, in fall of '08, I bought a tobacco burst GXi, never having tried one. I thought it would be somewhat like a Cargo on steroids and it was in a way, but it really turned out to be another tonal beast altogether. I sold it in 2012 to help fund the purchase of my Emerald 6/12 Chimaera double neck.

The tonal qualities of the GXi as you describe seems familiar and strings aren't really going to change any characteristics that you may be less than enamoured with. Given the brands/models that have since emerged, today the GXi would not be up there in my top choices. I'd be considering either an Emerald X20, one of the Rainsongs, or maybe a Blackbird, with a lean to the X20. Just thought I'd share my perspective.