View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 10:41 AM

Okay, so although I am Carbonius, I have yet to own a Carbon guitar. I was too afraid to buy one years ago as nobody carried them around here. Well now a local dealer has a nice GXi Copper burst in at an amazing price. I think it was a demo model. At first I didn't like the tone much as I was really used to Taylor's. The tone is a little darker, but not bad. I have had substantial hearing changes through the last 3 years and found the GXi tone more attractive now.

The sustain is very good in the first 9 or so frets, average in the 10-14 range and lacking for the rest of the neck. In fact, very strange overwhelming resonance occurs in the 15+ range (yes I play there). The sustain is MOST noticeable for me in the D to F# range on the A string. EVERY Taylor I have tried lacks sustain in that range and the notes get sucked out like a vacuum. The GXi has the same sustain all over that lower register

I find that the high E & B get a bit lost with moderate to heavy strumming. Is that just from the players perspective?? Some have said that these guitars sound quite different from player vs. listener. How do I remedy that?? Play close to a wall in a small room?? Most of my playing will be just for me. I am assuming that the guitar comes with Phos/Bronz. Would 80/20's add a little clarity and sparkle??