View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
It might get down to semantics and how "average user" is defined. I'd go with the idea that many players have no clue about setups. They might be able to tell you this one plays better than that one when they are next to each other but those players have no idea why. And, I'm not talking new players.

I don't disagree with this, Ed.

The following question is; Is this okay, or should someone's (manufacturer, retailer, etc.) standards be higher than just catering to what I would call the "lowest common denominator"?

Should the retailer be better at educating the customer about what a good and proper set-up is? Can the manufacturer deliver a better more consistent product in this regard?

Are there retailers out there that love guitars, feel a responsibility to the customer/player, and can still figure out a way to be profitable?

...or should we just shrug our shoulders, and pretty much ignore (or mock) the actual needs of the player?

...and as I asked earlier;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
...if they're (the customer/player) not aware that this might require attention, does their oblivion remove the possibility that the set-up is bad?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner