View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Cargo Neck Issue vs. Emerald/Blackbird

I intended to purchase a Cargo just prior to their closing and so have been reading the AGF for news for sometime. Until this thread appeared, I was unaware there were any issues with the Cargo's design/setup as has been covered in great detail by this thread.

The Emerald X7 and the Blackbird are both carbon guitars, both without truss rods. The Emerald, in particular, matches closely the Cargo in scale length, body dimensions, etc. Examining these guitars side-by-side for design and setup per the information given earlier in this thread seems to me would be a very useful structural 'apples to apples' comparison.

My question for those who are knowledgeable is this: If the Cargo was designed with the neck slightly out of adjustment, is this also the case with either or both the Emerald X7 and the Blackbird? Are they designed with the same or similar neck issues and if so, maybe it indicates it was deemed necessary for some reason. Does anyone know if either of them would pass the scrutiny of knowledgeable AGF members as to their actual design against accepted 'luthier' norms?

I am asking because after Cargo disappeared, I have been closely following word on the X7 and it is the focus of my next purchase--I have just been waiting for some in depth reviews to appear. I've heard nothing about the X7 or Blackbird regarding design flaws, etc., but then again, I had never heard of these issues regarding the Cargo either. I have only read one comment on the X7 to date and that was that the intonation was perfect.

I'd appreciate any help/comments/knowledge that anyone is able to share.

Thanks,

Jerry