View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

The conversation has, perhaps inevitably, drifted from the OP's question about favorite reviewers to that of favorite demonstrators.

Regarding demo videos, no video is going to sound like the guitar would sound in your lap. It just won't.

So, when listening to videos, keep in mind that they are not comparisons of guitars but comparisons of recordings of guitars.

Many times I have listened to a guitar video, and was intrigued enough that I went to the shop to try it out, only to find that it sounded very different.

I listed Matt Chulka and Spoon Phillips as excellent reviewers in a previous post because, after trying out the guitar, both take the time to give a description of its voice from the perspective of a knowledgeable player. Then I can take what I hear from the video and compare it to what they hear after playing it, and develop an approximation of the guitar that is at least as valuable to me as their demos.

I also included Carl Miner (who doesn't describe the guitars he demos) because... well, because he's Carl Miner, and no one can make a guitar sound better.

Last edited by jmagill; 04-18-2024 at 05:02 AM.