View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Bern wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Hmm...you are a Pearse endorser, I see.
Anyway, is James Taylor now endorsing them as well ?
Bern, I try to make it a point to mention that I'm a John Pearse artist endorser in every post relating to strings that I write. If you search the archives for my posts you'll find that I've always been completely upfront about this.

Which is how it should be.

As for James Taylor being an artist endorser, yes, it's been official for quite some time. He and his brother Livingston both are artist endorsers for John Pearse strings, and you can find their names here:

http://www.jpstrings.com/brend.htm

I'm listed under "M" and James and Livingston Taylor are listed under "T."

Random Works asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Can anyone describe the difference between JP strings and say Martin or D'Addario of the same gauge, core shape, and wrapping alloy?

I have never tried them..
Well, they sound a bit different. It's been long enough since I used any Martin strings that I'd be on shaky ground trying to give you any accurate tonal comparisons. I do recall that I don't get as long a usable lifespan out of the Martins as I do out of the Pearses, but that won't necessarily be the case for everyone.

The greatest tonal contrast I can give you is between the D'Addario phosphors and the Pearse phosphors. The D'Addario phosphors have a much more noticeable and prominent treble response than the Pearse phosphors have. The Pearse phosphors have a more complex tonal profile than the D'Addario phosphors.

Trying to explain tonal differences in words "is like dancing about architecture," to use the phrase attributed to Frank Zappa. But as a general rule those players who are really used to D'Addario phosphors will find the Pearse phosphors dark by comparison, while to Pearse phosphor users the D'Addarios might seem overly bright.

So much does truly depend on how any individual instrument responds that it's basically impossible to get any more specific than that.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 08-17-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar