View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Playing both an X7 and an X20-12 this morning:

- X7 fit and finish is impeccable, sound quality and playability is outstanding. SS fretwork is like glass smooth. Granted it is several times more $ than compared to other smaller form factor guitars (GS Mini, CSF3M, E20P, etc.), but it is truly worlds away in sound and playability. To my ear the X7 has big guitar feel/neck and sound from a small body and scale. And an uber-premium level choice.

- X20-12 (repeating myself I know) amazingly stable and never have to tweak tuning like other 12's where it is a near constant thing. I have played "louder" wooden jumbo 12's than the X20 (no idea about the X30-12), but it is fine and feels much smaller than the "D" size, just super comfortable to play. The Emerald sound hole back at the player just bathes your ears in sound. Perfect 12-string set-up, and that is really saying something. I long to try an X7-12.

I have never had an Emerald that did not come perfectly set-up from the factory. Both pre- and post-plek days. Perfect. I have never had to touch a nut, bridge, fret, saddle, truss rod, nothing on an Emerald. Every other brand I have had has always needed something set-up.

No ugly pickguards on Emeralds either... and lately no bridge pins to mess with. And you can't buy better tuners than the Gotoh 510s imo.

Emeralds in general are so stable being CF that you never seem to have to fiddle with the tuning. They're at the same place when you put them down or cased them whenever you pick them back up, regardless of how long they sit idle. Emeralds feel sturdy enough that you don't have to fret about leaving them close by for playing on a whim. I don't feel as comfortable leaving a wood guitar out. You don't see binding coming off an Emerald because it doesn't have any or need any.

Oh, and I think the Hiscox cases are outstanding. Soft cases (bags) are outstanding too but I wish the X7 had a Hiscox as well.

Sometimes I think all the Emerald features get absorbed and taken for granted (by me). They are really very advanced and examples of forward thinking guitars. Most of the wood guitars are technology of the late 1800s plus a bit.

The only downside: They are expensive and get really expensive as you add to the configuration (think Mercedes Benz like). But you get what you pay for and probably century long durability. Upside - order direct and no state sales tax.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 10.57.13 AM.png (669.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by redi; 04-07-2024 at 09:59 AM.