View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 05:27 AM

Even though I had been playing for several years before that Gibson was built, I could not afford a new Gibson slope shoulder jumbo until the very end of the 1960s. Did not get my first Gibson though until a few years later and ended up walking out the door with a 1955-1959 LG2.

The good things about this J50 is that prior to 1968, Gibson continued to go with the same lighter non-scalloped bracing they had used earlier and the build quality remained high. Bad thing, at least based on what it takes to put me in my comfort zone, is the skimpy neck depth and nut width.

As already noted though, GC is not exactly forthcoming when it comes to providing information. But I also gather they will ship the guitar to the store closest to you so you can inspect and try it out before buying. I have only been in a GC once though and that was to buy a 1950s Kay Jumbo. It all worked out fine but I recall when I asked them why they had not bothered to change the strings (you just about needed a tetanus shot to play the thing) they told me it was not their policy to do anything to "vintage" instruments.