Thread: Medical PSA
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
TLDR: doctors dont create a for-profit culture in American medicine. Lawyers and insurance agents do.

I have two doctors and two nurses and a nurse practitioner in my immediate family. I was high up in medical device industry.

I have never met any doctor who isn't in it for the medicine.

Our doctors are amazing: their practice was exclusively through a very large HMO. The HMO started dictating how to practice medicine and how much time doctors could spend with patients and how many patients they must see every day.

The entire staff walked out on a Friday and opened up two new practices across town on Monday (where they've been for 20 years). Thast HMO pushed to hard and learned a lesson by being put out of business across the entire state by this.

Doctors care about medicine. Two factors are the culprits:

1) litigiousness : unintended consequence of allowing lawyers to keep 1/3rd of injury/malpractice lawsuits created the massive ambulance chasing industry

2) insurance companies : viewing medicine as a for-profit business and maximizing profit of shareholders
For what it's worth, my assessment of the health care industry is born of almost 30 years of observations as an RRT intensive care practitioner. And I agree that most health care providers genuinely care about the welfare of their clients. However, what they can actually DO about that concern is limited to what insurance officials and politicians are willing to pay for. It's one of the reasons so many front line care givers are abandoning the profession like I did in 1996.