View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Gus, you said you planned to play the individual Gibsons you’re thinking of buying and I recommend you do that. Every Gibson is an individual and it took me years to realize this. I bought a NOS Hummingbird Faded that sat in a shop for a year, likely because it had dead strings. But when I played it, I detected something in the voice that I really liked, so I had the shop put fresh strings on it and suddenly it became the awesome guitar I suspected it was.

It destroyed 2 Murphy Lab Hummingbirds that I also played, and can hang with any of the other more expensive guitars in my collection.

Price point or series has no bearing when it comes to Gibson. You need to play them to know for sure.
Thanks brencat, amazing how much strings have to do with it. Sounds like you got onto a winner with your Hummingbird.

After some more thought my heart's pretty set on the 50's original J-45 in vintage sunburst. I don't think I'd be truly happy unless I got the full gloss job.

My current gigging guitar is a 1999 Martin 000-15 - which has been amazing - but I wanted something with a little bit more oomph, and a thicker neck.

There are at least 2 50's J-45s I can try in the city, so I will go soon and see what they're like.