View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It is just a coincidence that all of this happened while messing around with the O-port - you cannot really blame it. I have zero experience with them, and consider them a gimmick at best, but it did nothing that would cause either of your problems. Just a bad day....... and vent-worthy.
Thanks for the reply: A few answers and thoughts.

1) This opening was just today noticed. I checked it after I got it repaired and I could not enter the paper at all. And I've checked it once or twice since then when I checked my soundboard humidifier. No entry at all until now.

2) I never got the O-Port in because as soon as I saw the bridge problem I stopped everything. So the O-Port wasn't used at all on this guitar.

3) Yes I share your concern about the epoxy. I've had an issue with this shop before when I asked his tech to fix a top crack. He "fixed" it and when I checked the guitar a few months later after I just stored it in the case the crack had reopened. I took it to him and he said he assumed I wanted it done cheaply so he glued the top and didn't use cleats. I said I had assumed (oh, boy, I know) he had used cleats. I also said he should have given me the option of what I wanted done.

After some negotiations he fixed the crack properly by using cleats and I paid extra, so I guess about what he should have charged me in the first place. I don't know, I just wanted it done and it seems to be holding fine.

I will take the guitar in next week and see what my options will be. As you said I don't want the epoxy for the reason you stated plus it doesn't make a good wood-to-wood bond for sound. I don't know what options he will suggest but I'm open to "selling" it to him for work on my electrics, which he has been very good at, or putting it up for consignment but I do feel he needs to do something for me ... especially in light that I didn't even maintain the guitar at the full E tuning tension. I don't want to keep the guitar in this condition yet I don't want to have to pay more for him to repair his repair.

The worst I can do is take my business elsewhere. He has worked on several of my electrics and I have two or three more I'd like for him to work on but if this is all he will offer then it's later, gator. (I used to live in Florida.)
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin