View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
Don't get me wrong, Tommy is at or near the top of the heap of acoustic players IMHO and he seems like a truly good person. I just thought that was an interesting comment from his interview and whether or not it holds water doesn't really matter. I wasn't aware of his hearing disorder. I just enjoy his amazing abilities, musical contributions and showmanship. I saw his Public Television show last night but have never seen him live. He'll be in Montgomery next month and it'll be worth the drive from Huntsville.
Hi DCannon,

I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your comments in any way. And I didn't think you were being hard on Tommy particularly. I just felt like throwing in my own 2 cents on my experience with personal encounters with Tommy over a couple of years. On one occasion, my wife and I sat in the Syracuse, NY airport for almost 2 hours with Tommy in 2008. We traded his Kalamazoo guitar back and forth, he and his soundman, Brad, sang "Willie's Shades" for us right there in the middle of the airport, with Brad singing high harmony. Mostly, he talked to my wife about what to get his daughter for her upcoming birthday. He was heading to England to see her; we were heading back to Seattle, all by way of Chicago. My wife is fairly soft-spoken and doesn't like to talk loud for fear she will interfere with others. Poor Tommy kept asking her to repeat herself because of his hearing issues. It was one heck of an experience...

- Glenn